Forum Discussion

curt504
New Contributor
15 years ago

Useful feature for testing support: gen xml req/resp's from WSDL

Here's a useful feature that I've only found in Oxygen XML editor, the wsdl soap analyzer that I find essential in our test group.

Generate example request / response message XML directly from the WSDL.  No mock services etc needed.  I take the generated example XML for the request and response and we use this to build simulators. 

Can SoapUI do this or add this to your regular soapUI future feature list?  I've played around enough with soapUI to feel this is not there but maybe I've missed it.  Alot of tools generate the request XML that you might edit and send to a service.  No tool besides Oxygen wsdl soap analyzer gives the example response (before) you test sending the request to a service.

Tnx alot for a great tool.

curt

5 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi,

well, if you create a request for an operation in an imported WSDL, that will be generated from the schema, and if you add a mockresponse to a mockoperation for one of your wsdl operations then that response will be generated from the schema (just like in other tools). Did you mean you didn't find this or that the steps to do it were too many?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    curt504
    New Contributor
    Tnx.  More playing with 3.0beta and I find the generation of the request to be a fully expanded representation of the request and it's what I hoped for and typical with other tools.

But the mock response is a collapsed body request, not useful at all for my testing purposes.  I need an expanded payload xml.

IE

?

NEED THIS FULLY EXPANDED

Is this possible, or a config option?

tnx curt
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

Its possible with the "recreate request" button in the mockresponse-editor toolbar, it should prompt you if it should generate optional content..

does that work ok?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    curt504
    New Contributor
    ok ok, when you right click on a method create mock response it's a collapsed response as I mentioned above.

The upper left hand corner of the resulting UI shows the circular arrows icon, recreate default response from the schema.  That pops up a yes/no to add the optional elements.

Yes now I get what I was looking for.  Personally I'd suggest doing the full message first off. 

Thanks alot and thanks for an excellent support forum / helpers.

curt
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi curt,

I agree, there is actually a global setting for this in the WSDL Preferences tab; Generate Optional Elements (or something like that). Checking it will result in "full" responses to be generated every time.

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com