Forum Discussion

darreck
Occasional Visitor
4 years ago
Solved

Please help with importing WSDL and XSD's

Hi, I am a first time SoapUI user and could really use some help to get me started on the right path. My goal is to make a first connection to a Soap API so I can test if the credentials that I received, provide me with access to the API. The problem I'm running into: When I import the WSDL file, SoapUI doesn't seem to do anything with the XSD files. How do I include the XSD's in the testsuite?

Software: SoapUI Pro (ReadyAPI 3.3.2)

*The WSDL and XSD's are attached in this post, the service offers the choice to receive attachments with SwA or MTOM

• hey darreck 

I'm a little confused.  I had a look at the .zip files you attached.

Firstly I noticed the .wsdl .zip archives had lots of .wsdls and the .xsd .zip archive had lots of .xsds.

I noticed that your .wsdl files uses the embedded inline approach for schema definition - so the SOAP messages that are defined in your .wsdl have all their schema definitions contained within the .wsdl file.

schemas are used to validate the content of an .xml - so typically your SOAP webservice (defined by the .wsdl) woudl validate the content and formatting of a request once it is received by the listening webservice.  With this in mind, I don't understand why you are trying to add in the .xsd files - as far as I'm understanding there's no added value in adding in those .xsd files anyway - but even then - if you are trying to submit a request to a webservice - your requests will be passed via the schema when its consumed by the webservice and so theres just no upside to adding in the schema files - which you cant add to a testsuite anyway.  your testsuite includes SOAP/XML request payloads - but you wouldn't add in a schema into your testsuite.

I dont know if I'm just misunderstanding what you're after - can you clarify?

In summary - with my current understanding of your situation - if you create a new project from the .wsdl, then create some SOAP requests within a testcase sourcing the SOAP definition from the .wsdl - you'll be able to submit the request and get a response back wihtout any trouble.

Am I just not understanding the problem?

cheers,

rich

2 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

hey darreck 

I'm a little confused.  I had a look at the .zip files you attached.

Firstly I noticed the .wsdl .zip archives had lots of .wsdls and the .xsd .zip archive had lots of .xsds.

I noticed that your .wsdl files uses the embedded inline approach for schema definition - so the SOAP messages that are defined in your .wsdl have all their schema definitions contained within the .wsdl file.

schemas are used to validate the content of an .xml - so typically your SOAP webservice (defined by the .wsdl) woudl validate the content and formatting of a request once it is received by the listening webservice.  With this in mind, I don't understand why you are trying to add in the .xsd files - as far as I'm understanding there's no added value in adding in those .xsd files anyway - but even then - if you are trying to submit a request to a webservice - your requests will be passed via the schema when its consumed by the webservice and so theres just no upside to adding in the schema files - which you cant add to a testsuite anyway.  your testsuite includes SOAP/XML request payloads - but you wouldn't add in a schema into your testsuite.

I dont know if I'm just misunderstanding what you're after - can you clarify?

In summary - with my current understanding of your situation - if you create a new project from the .wsdl, then create some SOAP requests within a testcase sourcing the SOAP definition from the .wsdl - you'll be able to submit the request and get a response back wihtout any trouble.

Am I just not understanding the problem?

cheers,

rich

sonya_m
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for your reply, Richie!

darreck Does this answer your question?