Forum Discussion

opaciga
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Get a list of all properties

I have a scenario where a test case loads a DataSource and uses testRunner.testCase.testSuite.setPropertyValue() in a Groovy script to pass values from the data to another test case. The code to do this is highly repetitive and depends on listing out each properly to be passed from the DataSource.

Essentially, I have these lines duplicated almost identically dozens of times:

def some_input_value = context.expand( '${DataSource#some_input_value}' )
testRunner.testCase.testSuite.setPropertyValue( "some_input_value", some_input_value)

Is it possible to list all properties available on the DataSource, so that I could replace all these repeated blocks with a for loop? e.g. something like:

DataSource.getProperties().each {
    testRunner.testCase.testSuite.setPropertyValue( it, context.expand( '${DataSource#'+it+'}' ))
}

• Not a problem, let me see what I can do to help! Give this a shot and let me know if it works. Will need to run the Data Source so it has data, of course.

// This is highly dependent on where your DataSource lives. Assuming within the same Test Case.

// Assuming Data Source name of DataSource.
    def DataSource = context.testCase.testSteps["DataSource"];

// testRunner should work, but it might need to be context.testCase.testSuite
     testRunner.testCase.testSuite.setPropertyValue( it.key, context.expand( '${DataSource#'+it.key+'}' ))
    }

• Thanks, that worked like a charm! Exactly what I needed.

5 Replies

groovyguy
    Champion Level 1

opaciga you are very close with the script that you have. But in this instance "it" is a reference to a hash map of the key (property name) and the value (property value from the datasource.)

If you change "it" to "it.key" the script should work as you expect. I tried it out with one of my projects that has a datasource and it worked for me. Let me know if it doesn't!

opaciga
    New Contributor

I maybe have accidentally hit on something when what I intended as pseudocode... how do I get the DataSource object in the first place? I only know how to access its properties with `context.expand()`, which only returns a string.

groovyguy
      Champion Level 1

Not a problem, let me see what I can do to help! Give this a shot and let me know if it works. Will need to run the Data Source so it has data, of course.

// This is highly dependent on where your DataSource lives. Assuming within the same Test Case.

// Assuming Data Source name of DataSource.
      def DataSource = context.testCase.testSteps["DataSource"];

// testRunner should work, but it might need to be context.testCase.testSuite
       testRunner.testCase.testSuite.setPropertyValue( it.key, context.expand( '${DataSource#'+it.key+'}' ))
      }

opaciga
    New Contributor

Thanks, that worked like a charm! Exactly what I needed.

groovyguy
      Champion Level 1

Sorry for accidentally accepting your own reply as a solution. My mouse skipped!

You are more than welcome, glad I was able to help!