Forum Discussion

krispokkuluri
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago

Design For Automated testing of a Grid template UI usnig ReadyAPI

##URGENT### Hi Guys,

My team is looking to automate our application Grid Based Application. I am very new to automation and the requirement is to build a test-suite in ReadyAPI . The Requirement is to validate the Stored Procs/ Various services that run behind to generate data and validate it against a query that gets the same data using query . As a QA i have very minimal knowledge of SQL and to be able to do something requires a humongous effort .

Question : Can someone please help suggest any framework design in mind for such validation or any other ideas for example if we could take the data from the website and validate it against the query would it make sense . Please suggest and share your expertise .

7 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

Hey krispokkuluri,

If I understand what you're asking for, this doesnt sound that complicated, however, the problem is that you're going to need good SQL to be able to pull this off.

What I mean by this is, if you need to verify the storedprocs are doing what is required, then you'll need to be able to turn those stored proc requirements into SQL - thinking about the typical stored procs I see, you'd need to at least be able to put together inner/outer joins, sub-queries and perhaps even use some SQL functions like CAST, CASE & COALESCE to match the requirement.

Initially I think I'd create the JDBC DB connection in the JDCB Connection profile 'Preferences'

In my test case I'd create a copy of the stored proc in a JDBC test step

I'd have a groovy step to write out the results to a Properties step

I'd add a Properties test step 

I'd have a JDBC test step containing the SQL I'd put together to match the requirement

I'd have a groovy step to do grab the results of the SQL, write it to the Properties step and then compare the storedproc results against the SQL step's results

So my testcase hierarchy would be something like the following:

JDBC TestStep (storedProc)

Groovy TestStep (grab storedproc, write results to Properties step)

Properties

JDBC TestStep (SQL)

Groovy TestStep (grab SQL, write results to Properties step and compare storedproc results against SQL results)

You wouldn't be able to use the website's front end for a couple of reasons - firstly ReadyAPI! doesnt capture front end content - you'd need something like Selenium to do this - you can use groovy and import declare Selenium, but that's just adding more complication and I think this is gonna be complicated enough for you) - secondly - yes the front end is displaying data sourced from the database - however, you do not know if the data displayed in a specific field in the HTML table on the page is actually sourced from the correct table.attribute in your database.  This is one of the reasons when testing front ends, you should actually alter the underlying table's data so that all data displayed on the page is unique - to ensure that page.field1 is being populated by table.field1 correctly - rather than page.field1 being incorrectly populated by table.field2.  Hence the reason you should disregard the front end and just focus on the underlying database.

It sounds like you're quite new to ReadyAPI! and if you're not well versed in SQL, I think this is going to be rather a tall order for you.  Are you working with anyone who knows ReadyAPI! and has good SQL skills?  Even if your SQL is very good doesn't necessarily mean your T-SQL or PL/pgSQL or PL/SQL  (T-SQL, PL/pgSQL, PL/SQL are used by SQLServer, PostgreSQL and Oracle to create their storedprocs) is good.

A further complication is how your requirements describing the storedprocs are defined.  Will you have a textual description defining the requirement of what the storedprocs are supposed to be doing or are you expected to analyse the storedprocs yourself to determine what they are doing?  If the latter, then you'll definitely need to have excellent T-SQL, Pl/pgSQL, PL/SQL, etc.)

Sorry I can't be a bit more encouraging, but I think what you're asking is a tall order unless you're SQL is very, very good along with very good ReadyAPI! skills.

Cheers,

Rich  

krispokkuluri
      Occasional Contributor

Hi richie ,

Thanks for being so articulate. I have people who have implemented the solution ,although i need to lay down the basic groundwork inorder to reach them .The team has allowed me to involve in upgrading my skills and also are open to other solutions such as getting the data from the UI in excel format .

Another solution is to validate JSON response with the JDBC Step . Can you please help me with this ?

I have my JSON Response something like this :

(Can't provide actual data for security purposes but this is the response and they are severeal of these based on the request)

{
      "$id" : "1",
      "$type" : "XYZ",
      "FeatureName" : "XYZ",
      "FeatureQuantity" : 1,
      "ToolFamily" : "XYZ",
      "IsPrimary" : true,
      "SupplierName" : "XYZ",
      "ProductCode" : "XYZ",
      "Description" : "XYZ",
      "ToolIsActive" : true,
      "FeatureIsActive" : true,
      "IsRemixable" : true,
      "IsAnnualized" : false,
      "ListPrice" : 10500.00000000,
      "ModifiedBy" : null,
      "ModifiedDate" : null,
      "CatalogId" : 21774,
      "Features" : "XYZ",
      "ProductType" : "A-la-carte"
      },

And with the help of the developer i have got the query that gives the response to certain fields from this and there are multiple records and vary with data required . Can you please provide any familiar way to validate such requests and the response can have n number of entries and have only numbers for nodes but i want to extract only the data that i need and have to validate it with the jdbc response . Let's say i have both can you please provide a solution to validate the same .

Please let me know if there is anyway i could connect i terribly need to get this done by today .

richie
        Community Hero
        Hey krispokkuluri,

Where's this json response come from?
        Executing a JDBC step returns results in xml format. If youve got this response from an HTTP/ReST step we can convert the response to xml by adding an 'Accept' header with value of 'application/xml' to convert the response to xml instead of json so both HTTP and JDBC responses are same datatype.

You state ".......and the response can have n number of entries and have only numbers for nodes but i want to extract only the data that i need and have to validate it with the jdbc response"

Firstly can you clarify what you mean by "....have only numbers for nodes"? I dont know what you mean by this.

Where you say ".....but i want to extract only the data that i need and have to validate it with the jdbc response". I'm a bit confused. You can add filters to your SQL (in the WHERE clause of your SQL query) to control what is returned by your JDBC query, however, if youre attempting to prove the storedproc works correctly then adding filters to your SQL query to retrieve specific info that doesnt match what the storedproc retrieves exactly wont verify the storedproc is working correctly.....or am i misunderstanding something?

Oh, one more question: does your database support querying via HTTP/ReST as an alternative to querying via JDBC/SQL?

Cheers,

Rich