Forum Discussion

alibaba82
Super Contributor
17 years ago

Database Assertion

Hello,
would it be possible to have a 'Database assertion' as a new feature. Most of my responses typically have to be validated against some value in a database. If there is a database assertion type, it would make things a lot easier.

In the meantime, what would be the best way to accomplish this.

3 Replies

alibaba82
    Super Contributor
    When I am creating a database assertion I am typically checking for a specific value (one column one row). Whereas in the datasource you can get multiple rows and columns, I think a database assertion would only contain one value.

So I guess datasource would be embedded inside the database assertion.
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi!

hmm.. good idea! How would it be configured? Would it be together with the xpath assertion? ie the expected content field would somehow specify a database/table/row/column to match against?

Best bet currently is maybe to create a DataSource step to select the value for comparison and then compare either with a groovy script or a standard property-expansion in the expected value field

Hope this helps!

/Ole
    eviware.com
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi!

You could setup a DataSource teststep with a query that only selects one row (you can even use property-expansion in the sql query field) which would then be fetched when the testcase executes the step.. there is no requirement for you to hactually ave a DataSourceLoop step as well, so this step would only be run once (unless you loop over it in some other way.. )..

ie your TestCase could contain only

- DataSource -> fetch just one row
    - Request -> with an xpath-match assertion that references the fetched row and/or its columns in the expected value

Hope this makes sense!

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com