Forum Discussion

InTrThomas
8 years ago

Changing testcase property name does so throughout entire project.

AFAIK recently it became possible to change the names of properties within TestCases and SoapUI would automatically adjust all those names within each (Run TestStep) TestStep that was using that property within their Value. I've Googled around to see if I could find any documentation about this feature, but couldn't find any so far. 

However, I found that it is doing so not only within the relative TestCase, but also within the entire project.

Let me illustrate. 

I have two TestCases, each with their own properties, with some overlap in their naming.

• TestCaseA
    • PropertyA1
    • GeneralNameFOO
  • TestCaseB
    • PropertyB1
    • GeneralNameFOO

Now, if I rename "GeneralNameFOO" to "GeneralNameBAR" within TestCaseA, every property present within the TestSteps would automatically be renamed. E.g.: ${#TestCase#GeneralNameFOO} would now say ${#TestCase#GeneralNameBAR}.

However, within TestCaseB, every instance of GeneralNameFOO, within the TestSteps, has now also been renamed to GeneralNameBAR. This adjustment happens within the entire project (as far I've tested).

Is this expected behavior?

I've fitted some screenshots together to further illustrate my finding (see below). To me, it seems as if the scope of TestCase properties has been pooled together into a single pool, instead of functioning as separate compartments (making them function basically as Project properties).

Please let me know if further information is required.

In the below example only in the top testcase (TestCase) the name of the property is changed. This adjustment is automatically implemented in every possible TestStep within the project utilizing the same TestCase property name.

No RepliesBe the first to reply