Forum Discussion

christof
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

A few feature requests

Here are a few feature requests I stumbled over after using SoapUI extensively for a day:

1. Automatically add assertions
When adding a TestRequest to a TestCase manually you can select the assertions "Soap Response, Not Soap Fault, Schema Compliance" automatically. This makes sense, as these are the three assertions most people will want for every method. I missed these options when auto-generating a Testsuite for all the methods of a WSDL though. And for some services, that means adding these three assertions manually for >20 methods. It would be great if we had these options when auto-generating a Testsuite too. Which brings me to my next point..

2. Add multiple assertions
When I'm in the tab of a request and click the "Add assertion" button at the top left, a popup with a single pulldown appears. It would be nice if this was a multiselect and you could add all your assertions at once.

3. Empty values
Wouldn't an empty value <value/> be a better default value than a question mark? When setting up a new TestRequest I always have to get rid of all the question marks in the fields before I fill in any data.

4. Run specific TestSteps
It would be nice to be able to play only certain certain steps of a TestCase. For example selecting three TestSteps, right-click "Run selected TestSteps" would be great.

5. Custom delay times
When setting values for Delay TestSteps, it would be nice to have the same options as we do for, e.g. properties, i.e. DataSources. In my case, I am dealing with an order function, that returns a queue ID and wait time to process very large orders. I was hoping to grab the queue wait time from the order response, multiply it by 1000 to get milliseconds and make the TestCase wait as long as it takes (something like: number(${#order#Response//messages//queue_wait})*1000).
Then again, maybe I'm doing it wrong?

2 Replies

• Hi Chris,

Nice point out, It would be great if Pro comes up with what you said. Even i do face same problems.

Makes life easier, if these was in SOAP Pro.

Thanks for pointing out neatly .

regards,
    Raj
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    christof wrote:
    4. Run specific TestSteps
    It would be nice to be able to play only certain certain steps of a TestCase. For example selecting three TestSteps, right-click "Run selected TestSteps" would be great.

Then we would have to separate the TestCase setup window from a Results-Window-For-A-Adhoc-Customized-TestCase Window. In the latter window, some TestSteps would appear differently, since they were not ran. I see the risk of making things too complex.

For now, the encouraged way to do this is to disable/enable TestSteps.

christof wrote:
    2. Add multiple assertions
    When I'm in the tab of a request and click the "Add assertion" button at the top left, a popup with a single pulldown appears. It would be nice if this was a multiselect and you could add all your assertions at once.

We would probably consider this if we hadn't completely redesigned the Add assertion process for the upcoming soapUI 4.5.

Thanks for all the feature requests!

Henrik
    SmartBear Software