Forum Discussion

nkarmacharya
Occasional Contributor
6 years ago

how to pass variable directly in the Value from the Request body

Hi I am trying to parameterize values directly to the body of the message instead of doing the select variable  and selecting the from the variable list. I tried something like {"docId":"idnumber::@getnumber"} where 'getnumber' is my defined variable. If i use that in the request body directly, it is not converting it. Can anyone help?

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

I tried to paste your sample JSON into the body of some request and got the following:

It is my understanding that you like to use the value of the 'getnumber' variable (say, it equals to 5) to get this:

idnumber::5

as the value for the Value field.

If the above screenshot corresponds to your real request and my understanding is correct, then, unfortunately, variable substitution in the middle of the parameter's value is not supported in LoadComplete yet.

I use the following approach when I need to implement something like you need:

-- Create a helper variable and name it, say, getnumberAux ;

-- Add the 'Set Variable Value' operation before the first request that needs the data from the getnumber variable and setup operation like this:

-- Now use the getnumberAux variable to replace the recorded value of the request with the modified value:

Does this help?

nkarmacharya
      Occasional Contributor

Hi 

thank you for helping out. I tried the way you have mentioned but I am getting error in the response, which look something like this; Also i have attached the screenshot of how I have set it up. Please let me know if you if I had done something differently.

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html lang="en">

<head>

<meta charset="utf-8">

<title>Error</title>

</head>

<body>

<pre>SyntaxError: Unexpected token C in JSON at position 11<br> &nbsp; &nbsp;at JSON.parse (&lt;anonymous&gt;)<br> &nbsp; &nbsp;at pars

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

Screenshots look OK.

I would recommend to Verify the scenario (button with green triangle in the Scenario Editor). This will execute the scenario for one virtual user and all data for requests and responses will be logged. Then navigate to the failed request in the log and check if the structure of the JSON been sent corresponds to the structure of the recorded one.