Forum Discussion

LZhang
Frequent Contributor
15 years ago

Beta 3.5 is not able to save requirement/test cases mapping

Hi:

I have encountered a problem in trying to save requirement mapping.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Get the latest from source control
2 check out and lock the settings.xml from the project level
3. Open the project in SoapUI and go to requirement tab --> map on eof the requirements to a few
test cases.
4. Save the project
5. Check in the settings.xml to source control
6. exit soapUI or reload the project and it shows that no test cases have been mapped to the requirement.  Basically, my mapping
didn't get saved in SoapUI.

However, I found out that if I check out the entire test suite (where the test cases reside) as well as the settings.xml (at project level),
then the mapping will get saved correctly.

Is this a bug?  The version of SoapUI that I am using is
Build daily-2010-01-25-[3], Build Date 2010/01/25 17:07

Thanks,
Li Zhang

10 Replies

LZhang
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi:

Any follow-up or update on this?

Thanks,
    Li
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Li,

it does sound strange, we are investigating!

regards,

/ole
    eviware.com
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hello,

Well, this is really strange. I did not manage to reproduce it. Did you get any error message?
    Open a settins.xml after you save a project, you should have something like:

<con:requirements>
        <con:requirement>
          <con:id>dddt</con:id>
          <con:links/>
          <con:testCases>
            <con:entry>36d1916f-469e-4351-853f-aec9f109d32f</con:entry>
            <con:entry>fbe4a960-9e10-4f20-aa4d-81331b792cc7</con:entry>
          </con:testCases>
        </con:requirement>
        <con:requirement>
          <con:id>dfff</con:id>
          <con:links/>
          <con:testCases>
            <con:entry>36d1916f-469e-4351-853f-aec9f109d32f</con:entry>
            <con:entry>fbe4a960-9e10-4f20-aa4d-81331b792cc7</con:entry>
            <con:entry>b233472d-7513-480e-b9ae-bb2bae420359</con:entry>
            <con:entry>86724bbd-5b17-4701-898c-47d938c56d6f</con:entry>
          </con:testCases>
        </con:requirement>
      </con:requirements>

Let me know we can proceed with this,
    robert
    LZhang
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi:

Do you think it might due to the fact that the test cases I wanted to map to were cloned from existing project?
    I have attached the project that I am working on.  If you can open it and go to requirement tab --> map the last
    requirement 5424 to test cases in Product-Back-Log-Project --> 5424-EU-Testing suite --> select all test cases.

What I did was I saved the project after mapping and checked it into TFS and then reloaded the project.  Evidently,
    the mapping was gone in requirement.

Is it possible for you to clone your test cases and map them to a requirement and try to save and check it into source
    control and see if you can reproduce the issue?

Thanks,
    Li Zhang
    LZhang
    Frequent Contributor
    Just want to re-iterate what I noted in my initial thread that if I checked out the ENTIRE test suite for which I wanted to map the requirement to, the requirement would indeed get saved.  So it's worthwhile investigating the settings.xml INSIDE the test suite folder.
    It might have impact on the overall project level requirement mapping.

Li
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

How do you save the project after adding requirements? Could you please try the same actions but with explicitly right-clicking at the project-->save...after. Please let us know if this makes any difference!
    I'm suspecting that the problem might be in mapping "ctrl+s" if you don't have project in focus, but I need your confirmation.

Regards,
    /dragica
    eviware.com
    LZhang
    Frequent Contributor
    I tried both ways by clicking the "save all projects" as well as right clicking on the project and explicitly saving it.  Made no difference.

Li
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hi,

Could you please try tracing the content in settings.xml on a project level after you've changed requirements by following the scenario you've sent. Check it's content right after you've saved the project before checking in the settings.xml, and after checking in. Look for any differences inside between the actions. You could create a smaller (easier to trace) project with maybe just one test suite for that purpose. Also please check logs for any info that might be useful.  Unfortunately the only way I've managed to re-create something similar as you describe is when using ctrl+s, if I save a project properly everything gets saved.  The only difference is that I'm not using TFS. Please let us know if you come up with any new info on this.

Regards,
    /Dragica
    eviware.com
    LZhang
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi:

I tried tracing the content in settings.xml (on the project level) before and after but didn't notice anything differences.  Here is what I suspect, if you CLONE a test case from another project to your composite project, then map this test case to your requirement and save all.  Don't use ctrl-s, would you be able to reproduce it?  Not sure if it has anything to do with cloning a test case.

Thanks,
    Li Zhang