mfoster711
Regular Contributor
10 years ago
New Idea

Improve TestComplete/TestExecute update process and applying patches

There needs to be easier ways to manage updating TestComplete/TestExecute and applying patches for browsers.

I recommended modifying the command line installation for TestComplete/TestExecute (http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56424/#Commandline) to support applying Updates instead of requiring the previous version to be uninstalled. Also, there needs to be a way to apply all current patches for browsers at the same time the installation is performed.

In the end, I would create a single batch file that can be run on all my PCs (Windows Vista, 7 and 8) that would update TestComplete/TestExecute to the latest version and apply all Browser patches.

2 Comments

mfoster711
    Regular Contributor

We have 30+ PCs we use with TestComplete/TestExecute. The current process required us to:

• update TestComplete and TestExecute on each PC
    • open TestComplete/TestExecute on each PC and check for updates
    • apply the 3 updates (Firefox 36, Chrome 42, Firefox 37) independently

This took most of a day for one person to complete.

mfoster711
    Regular Contributor

One more thought, modify TestComplete/TestExecute to not require a license during the update process and while applying patches.

24 of our 30+ PCs are typically only used for remotely executing scripts with TestExecute. We have 20 TestExecute licenses. We still install TestComplete on these PCs and we have 4 floating licenses for TestComplete that we use on these PCs in case we need to go to that PC and troubleshoot a specific script on it.

One of the issues that slowed us down while updating was that TestComplete would grab one of our floating licenses to apply the patches so we could only update 4 PCs at a time.