Forum Discussion

Mtatavar
New Contributor
9 months ago

Generating a test execution Report - Test cases not executed over a period

I am looking for a way to generate a test execution report of the test cases that were never executed over a period of time. This could further be based on an Component. What we have is a huge repository of test cases. What we are trying is to find the report of test cases that were not executed for the last 3 months  or  6 months. This will help us organize and  archive unused test cases and focus on most used test cases for various certifications based on test executions. 

5 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

There's no way to report that inside of Scale with the current reporting functions but it can still be done by exporting to Excel.  We just need to make sure that we export all test cases (so that means that they must all be associated with test cycles).

Assuming that all your test cases are in test cycles, and that all your test cycles are associated to a test plan, you can run a report - I use 'Test execution results (list)' for this purpose.  You can choose to filter by test plan or by test cycle if you select all test cycles individually.  Make sure you click the 'All test executions' option button and then run the report.  You will now have a report that shows all test cases and their execution status.  Next we export the data (top right-hand corner button) to a dataset which you can then analyse in Excel using date ranges and counts of executions to get your stats.

That should work but let me know if you hit any problems.

Mtatavar
      New Contributor

Thanks for the work around. too bad that we cannot have reports based on just test case repository. all the reports are based on Executions only. we have filters at the test cases but would need to export them to excel and write macros to take things further. 
      My current scenario is we have test cases accumulated over a period of time. (25K+). wanted to maintain these for effectiveness. So the approach is to query on last executed date for each and accordingly filter them out for archival / obsolete. 

one approach I see from your work around is pull in batches to test cycle and pull the execution report. 

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Knowing a bit more about what you're thinking of doing, you could use the Custom Query option in your report and filter by the execution date to a period of time that you would consider to be in your archive period, e.g. 1 year ago.

Another useful option in the 'Test execution' filter option below is the Result field.  For example, you could use that to find tests that are Not Executed.

• or in the same screen (Filter by Custom query), you can add one more condition ("Result" in "Not Executed") will generate a report with all the test cases that were not executed and you can drill down to the test cases by clicking on the report.

One thing to note though that this report will include only the test cases that were included in a test cycle. So if the test cases that are not there in the selected test cycle they will not be picked up in the report unfortunately.