Forum Discussion

m_essaid
Valued Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

Working on TestComplete while TestExecute running

Hi,

Within the same ProjectSuite, and even within the same project, what are the limitations for creating, modifying and running scripts on TestComplete while TestExecute running ?

Thanks for help,

Mehdi

• If you have TestComplete on one and TestExecute on another and are executing your test on the test execute machine... Yes, you CAN work on editing it while it's running.  However, you might run into some problems saving some changes because there are some files that are marked read-only during a test run or that are updated dynamically during a test run that, while you are working on it, you will either be unable to save or you will over-write something the test execution is using.

Best practice is what someone has already suggested.  If you want to have your project stored on a shared drive for TestExecute to run against, that's fine.  But for your editing purposes, you should check out a copy of your project to your local hard drive and go through standard check-in/check-out source control procedures to put your code into the main project.

The way I like to think of it (since what you are essentially doing is writing script code) is that you would not edit script code on your production website while it was running. You'd make your changes to your script code in a development environment and then, once it's completed, integrate it into your production environment.

4 Replies

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3

You can't open TestExecute and TestComplete on the same machine at the same time.  You'll get a message that there is an instance of the software already running.

If you just need a copy of the project to work on while a test is running elsewhere, what we do is check another copy out of our version control and work on that.  It can be checked in any time and then you can update the running version later.  

m_essaid
      Valued Contributor

Hi Marsha,

I meant I have TestComplete on a machine, TestExecute on one other and the ProjectSuite accessible for both on the network.

I wish I could work on both (TC and TC) at the same time. Is that possible ?

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

If you have TestComplete on one and TestExecute on another and are executing your test on the test execute machine... Yes, you CAN work on editing it while it's running.  However, you might run into some problems saving some changes because there are some files that are marked read-only during a test run or that are updated dynamically during a test run that, while you are working on it, you will either be unable to save or you will over-write something the test execution is using.

Best practice is what someone has already suggested.  If you want to have your project stored on a shared drive for TestExecute to run against, that's fine.  But for your editing purposes, you should check out a copy of your project to your local hard drive and go through standard check-in/check-out source control procedures to put your code into the main project.

The way I like to think of it (since what you are essentially doing is writing script code) is that you would not edit script code on your production website while it was running. You'd make your changes to your script code in a development environment and then, once it's completed, integrate it into your production environment.

m_essaid
    Valued Contributor

Thanks Marsha and Tristan,

Ok... so I think I will continue as I am doing. That's somewhere annoying because I lose time.

I realize that's a long way to go to be an efficient tester, and I'm not already sure of my project's config ans architecture.