Forum Discussion

rpfaucher1
Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Tested Apps folder question and Local Appium Server Android Mobile

Hello, so I have recently had to stop running my (Legacy) Android Mobile tests (once Android OS hit version 12 or so)... and have now switched to Local Appium, no cloud... 

Using "Legacy" I know my apps had to also be stored under the Tested Apps folder of TestComplete.... I could get them there a variety of ways... one way was to Right Click anywhere under that area and it would generate the app under Tested Apps, as it stepped me through via wizard etc

It "appears" that storing the app under there is no longer required once I switched to Local Appium Server? 

I did try the Right Click and "ADD" feature.... and I figured I would select the item for the BitBar and Local Appium Server application (as there is no Local Appium Server Only selection).... and it ends up saving a BitBar app?  So if I right click on that App Name, I am given a choice to only "Run All" and that seems to equate to running all apps I have stored in the Tested App area.... when I was running Legacy, if I right clicked on "Test App" app.... I had the option to run only that specific app.... why is it now showing run all?  For Apps that are listed as BitBar (can I assume that now using Local Appium, that I no longer will need to get my app(s) into the Tested Apps folder as when I did Legacy for my Android Mobile Device?) 

At this time I do not want to use BitBar, but will use the Local Appium Server.... have a physical tablet connected to my test system via USB.

Just trying to find out if it is necessary to place my apk under the Tested Apps folder.... does not seem to be? And why there is no Option if I do add it, that specifies Local Appium only... currently the options include Legacy for Android or BitBar and Local Appium (asking this from memory so my apologies if the selections are not quite 100%) 

Today (as I just figured out how to get the Local Appium etc set up today) I am Launching my App one of two ways, one is to use the Show The Mobile App button... (again not sure of the exact syntax) or by launching from my script file using appropriate "Capabilities"... both will bring up my tablet and allow me to execute against same - an no app needed under "Tested Apps" - am I correct that that's the way I want to run, no APK needed to be referenced under Tested Apps anymore?

Thanks folks.  

• Hi rpfaucher1!

This is correct, you may now launch a connection to a device without being forced to provide an application. If you do wish to provide one, you can store the .APK anywhere on your machine and just point TC to it's location.

You can also still setup an application under TestedApps if you like, pointing to where ever the file is stored. 

I hope this helps!

• Thanks Nick, I certainly appreciate it.

Ron F.

------------

2 Replies

• Hi rpfaucher1!

This is correct, you may now launch a connection to a device without being forced to provide an application. If you do wish to provide one, you can store the .APK anywhere on your machine and just point TC to it's location.

You can also still setup an application under TestedApps if you like, pointing to where ever the file is stored. 

I hope this helps!

• Thanks Nick, I certainly appreciate it.

Ron F.

------------