Forum Discussion

tanu_saraswat
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

Test Complete Hangs while execution is in progress

When executing the suite for a desktop application, Test Complete hangs on any screen and when trying to stop the excution, the window get stuck at 'Stopping.....'

Please let me know. What could be the reason for it?

3 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

What it sounds like is that TC is going through some sort of object recognition process, waiting for an object to become available.  If it's in the middle of this process and click, "Stop", it actually needs to finish what it's doing before you can stop the application.

What I would do is investigate where this is happening in your code, look at the mapped object being referenced, and see if there is some way to speed up the object identification.  For example, if you are using "Extended Find" within NameMapping, try adding additional parent objects in the tree above the desired object.  

tanu_saraswat
      Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. However i wanted a solution which can work in every case and not specific to any object.

If at all Test Complete fails to find any object it should not hang. There should be a timeout for this operation. Please let me know if I can apply any timeouts to the script so that at least the script gets executed 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

What I did give you was an "every case" situation.  Basically, the automation you are attempting to execute is taking too long because the methodology you have in your code/keyword tests/name mapping isn't giving sufficient time for object identification.  More care needs to be made to prevent this.  It's not a matter of TC "hanging"... just TC taking a LONG time to do something.  You need to make your tests better to allow for better object processing.