mohanakshi
Contributor
13 years ago

Tesing on Virtual Machines

Hi,

We have some images (vmc files) created using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. And
we need to open these files from Test complete and install our
application in that image and test on it. We have Test complete 7.5
enterprise edition and we use VB script for out testing.

Is there any reference we need to include in our project? How do we open vmc files in Testcomplete? 

Please help us on this.

Regards,

Mohanakshi

3 Replies

• Hi,

See this thread.

Also, in the future, do not create duplicated treads (note that we reply to messages sent via the Contact Support form, AutomatedQA forums and the TestComplete section of the SQAforums site). This makes processing your requests much more difficult for us and does not increase the requests priority anyway.
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply, But I could not get the exact solution for my thread.

Thanking You,

Regards,

Mohanakshi
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi
    Mohanakshi,

> How do we open vmc files in Testcomplete? 

If I got you right, you are going to install TestComplete on the machine where virtual machines host (VPC) is installed, then start virtual machine using TestComplete and then test software installed on the virtual machine using TestComplete installed on the physical machine. Is that correct?

If my understanding is correct, then this will not work. The reason is that virtual machine does not expose the structure of the applications running inside it to external environment and the only thing accessible to external TestComplete will be the virtual machine window with the image inside. That means that the only possible way of testing in this case is coordinate-based clicks on the image and image comparison to verify the result.

In order to execute tests, TestComplete must be installed on the virtual machine along with the tested application, like you do on the physical machine.

Did this make things more clear?