Forum Discussion

jrussell2
New Contributor
13 years ago

Sys.Waitprocess is causing my process to end

I am using TestComplete6 in a lab setting running WindowsXP

I have a line in my script:

Process := Sys.WaitProcess('appName', -1);

My script opens a 3rd party software (appName), but as soon as it hits this line the 3rd party software closes, as if the process was killed. The 3rd party software is something that is updated year-to-year. This scenario worked just fine with the prior year version of the software, but the latest version which we just installed dies when TestComplete6 tries to get a handle on the process.

Just to experiment, I downloaded the demo version of TestComplete8. I was able to open the 3rd party software, start my script, and it successfully runs the above line.

What changed between TC6 and TC8 that might be causing this behavior difference between software installed 1 year ago and the updated software?

1 Reply

• Hi Justin,

I think, I can share the answer I gave you earlier within your support case on the same matter:

I cannot say for sure what causes the difference. You can find the information about the differences between TestComplete 6.53 and TestComplete in the following help topics and those related:

Version History: http://support.smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/12598/

What's New in TestComplete 8: http://support.smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/12597/

Also, we could try to determine the cause of the crash if you collected some additional information in the following way:

1. Download AQtime Standard, which is our free profiling tool, from our web site:

http://downloads.automatedqa.com/AQtimeStdx86.exe

2. Install the tool.

3. Start AQtime with the -NotOpenApp command-line argument. For example, you can use the following command line:

"c:\Program Files\SmartBear\AQtime 7\Bin\AQtime.exe" -NotOpenApp

4. Select the 'File | Open...' main menu item.

5. In the Open File dialog, select the tested applicaiton's executable file and click Open.

6. Take a look at the AQtime toolbar - there is a combo box. Open it and select the "Tracing | Exception Trace Profiler" item.

7. Select the "Options | Options..." main menu command - the Options dialog will appear.

8. Enable the "Profiling Time | Event View | Debug Events | Generate dump on exception" option and specify a dump folder.

9. Set the "Profiling Time | Event View | General | Exceptions | Depth shown" setting to 100 and click OK.

10. Click the Run toolbar button (the green arrow) or press F5 to start the profiling.

11. AQtime will start TestComplete and generate dump files for all exceptions that will occur in the application until it is closed.

12. Reproduce the problem using TestComplete.

13. After the problem occurs, right-click somewhere within the Event View panel (it is opened by default at the bottom of AQtime's window) and select the 'Save All...' item.

14. Save the panel's contents to an HTML file and send me the file along with all of the generated dump files.