Forum Discussion

12 years ago

Support for awesomium

Hi we plan to buy TestComplete for an app, we have. Its a desktop app, using 'awesomium' web interface.

I tried with Trial version of TC9, but seems it does not recognize awesomium controls in deep.

Can you please check from your side, and let me know if there is any solution to this.

8 Replies

Anonymous
    I believe I can comment on what the issue is. This is similar to support for example for CEF framework, which is used to plug in a Web interface into a native application. Since these frameworks present a different mechanism of access to their DOM compared to standard browsers, TestComplete cannot access objects - and in fact, even connect to these frameworks.

We have a (rather big) customer who are using CEF 1 as their Web engine of choice, and they are writing a custom extension for TestComplete to support it. So far, they appear to be doing fine with the implementation. 

To note, they have not found any other tool thatn TestComplete that would either support CEF, or be extensible enough to implement support for CEF on their own.

I think that is going to be our short-term recommendation to customers who want to use different Web engines for hybrid applications on the desktop. We can support you with some technical assistance in the usual manner. I imagine, such work can also be contracted out.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Manish,

As far as I know, Awesomium creates an HTML web page. So, you should test these pages by using TestComplete as a usual web page. If you cannot get access to some properties of controls, this should be investigated separately. Give us more examples. What control are you testing? What is your task?

• Hi.

I've just hit a similar problem. We have a desktop app which is mainly C#. We are now looking to embed web modules into the application and Awesomium seems to have been identified as a good solution.

But I have the same problem as the initial poster here. The webmodule is identified as one giant object. None of the individual controls are shown. I've had a bit of a google about and this seems to be a common problem with Awesomium. I found mention of various automated tools and none of them could interpret Awesomium rendered pages properly.

Speaking to one of the deveopers here he seemed to thin that it used some wierd rendering method rather than simply displaying native HTML, which might explain it.

When I object spy any control in the webmodule, it stop at the top level.

Example below:

Sys.Process("<OUR APPLICATION>").WinFormsObject("ShellForm").WinFormsObject("workspace://Infrastructure/Layout").WinFormsObject("ShellLayoutView").WinFormsObject("toolStripContainer").WinFormsObject("ToolStripContentPanel", "", 1).WinFormsObject("_backgroundPanel").WinFormsObject("workspace://Infrastructure/Primary").WinFormsObject("SingleViewLayout").WinFormsObject("workspace://Infrastructure/Workspace").WinFormsObject("WebModuleFrontPageSection").WinFormsObject("WebBrowser", "").Window("Chrome_WidgetWin_0", "", 1).Window("Chrome_RenderWidgetHostHWND", "", 1)

And thats it. Not much you can do with that except co-ordinates and clicks. Which is not good.

As it stands, I'll have to test it separately in Chrome and then it will have to be manually integration tested into our main application.

• *BUMP*

Notice there have been a couple of staff replies since I posted this but none on this thread.

This is kind of a big deal for us. I chose TestComplete as it covered more technology bases than any of the competition.

Currently, although TestComplete does not seem to work with Awesomium, neither do any of the other options out there as far as I can see.

However, it is quite possible that a lot of our core functionality will shift over to Awesomium powered web modules over the coming months. The core of our application is a C# based windows desktop app. It hosts numerous different modules, each of which controls different aspects of our main product base. Most of these modules at the moment are C# (many of which use DevExpress controls - another plus point for TestComplete) as well as some older Delphi modules.

But management like the idea of the web based modules as they also allow us to easily detach them from the core of the application on serve them up as standalones much more easily than the current setup. This is likely to be key to our approach going forward, hence the desire for Awesomium support.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Manish and Colin,

Taking your requests into consideration, I've created a suggestion to implement support for Awesomium in TestComplete. However, I cannot tell you for sure when and whether this functionality will be implemented.

• OK. Thanks for that. Heres hoping something comes of it.

Looks like it's back to co-ordinates and clicks (and manual tests) in the meantime. Bah!
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi Colin,

Just wondering if you tried Text Recognition (not OCR Recognition) functionality of TestComplete with awesomium window and whether it helped or not...