Forum Discussion

krreimann
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Reading Acess Data Bas not possible with TestComplete 8.0

I have converted my project to 8.0 and the Test is running well. But now Ihave a problem.

In my project I have DBTables Elements generated with TestComplete 7.52. Now I try to update the DBTable Elements (TestComplete_Edit_Button.jpg) in TestComplete 8 and I ever get an error Message when I use the Next Button in the Wizzard (TestComplete_next.jpg). When I use "..." Button in the Wizzard I get an dll Error. (TestCompleteError.jpg)

Are there any changes between TestComplete 7.xx an 8.0 which have to be considered when using TestComplete 8.

6 Replies

krreimann
    Occasional Contributor
    I found now that this error seems to be depending on the Microsoft Security updates. In July when I installed the new TC 8.0 all is working fine. But now at the beginning of October it is not possible to connect to the Access Database. In August and september I didn´t use this feature so it must be depend on an Microsoft Upates  from August to now. I als tested this on a PC with Windows7 and here is all working fine.

• Hello Karl-Rudolf,

To check whether the problem is related to TestComplete, please try to reproduce the problem with TestComplete 7 installed on the same machine as TestComplete 8 and tell us about your results. If you see the same behavior in TestComplete 7, please make sure that you are using the correct connection string and path to the data source, and the data source is available.

As for the failure error, we've received your message, and we will let you know our results as soon as we have some.
    krreimann
    Occasional Contributor
    Hello Alex,

I tried this before, but I couldn´t open my project with TestComplete 7 because it is converted to TestComplete 8. It may be a general problem with TestCompelte 8 because I also tried to add a new DBTable which is read from an Access Database and this is also not possible with TC8. When I do this on a PC where Windows7 and TestComplete 8 is installed all is working fine. Only on my Test Computers where Windows XP Sp3 and Testcomplete 8 is installed  I have the problems. In the moment it is not possible for me to change to Windows7 on my Test computers because I have another Test application which is only running on Windows XP, so I need a solution to run my tests on the Windows XP machine.
    krreimann
    Occasional Contributor
    Hello Alex,

now I installed on my XP computer  TestComplete7 and added a new project suite and a new project. In this project I added a new DBTable element. In this case I was able to read data from my Acces Database. So on this computer with TC8 is is not possible to read data from Access Database but with TestComplete 7 it is possible.
    krreimann
    Occasional Contributor
    Hello Alex,

I have made some additinal Tests and it is working now but I don`t know why.

1.I took the project which I added with TestComplete 7 and openend this with TestComplete 8.

2.TC8 konverted this project and now I could read from Access Database with TC8.

3.After this I openend my Testproject with TestComplete 8 and now I can read from Acces Database here also.

We are working with the Perforce Source Control in our project. Can this be a problem with TC8. The reason why I ask this is, when I checked out and checked in several times then suddenly the error that I could not read from Database happens again.

I have  to create a new projectSuite with TC7 and have to add DBTable Element and then to open it with TC8 and then all is working fine.

Best regards

Karl-Rudolf

• Hello Karl-Rudolf,

We need additional information to reproduce the problem. Please try to reproduce the problem with a sample database (for example, Northwind 2007.accdb) and send the following data to Support in response to the M0077578 support case:

The TestComplete 7 project that works correctly.

The TestComplete 8 project converted from the TestComplete 7 project that works correctly.

The TestComplete 8 project that fails.