Forum Discussion

CraigB
Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Python - Parameters in ADO queries

Hi   I have various SQL queries that need to be executed to insert, select and delete.  I'm trying to figure out how to get parameters working.  I can get unnamed parameters working in select que...
    tristaanogre
    5 years ago

I'm looking through some code that I have for SQL queries and I am using a named query parameter in the SQL string. 

For example, I have the following query

SELECT COUNTERID 
     FROM AUTOMATIONCOUNTERS (NOLOCK)
     WHERE NAME = :NAME

I use, then the ADO.CreateADOCommand method to generate a command object.  I set the CommandText property of that object to the query as indicated. The command object has a Parameters collection with a method called ParseSQL which builds the parameters collection based upon what's in the query.  You can then use the ParamByName method on that same collection to grab the parameter and assign the value.

So... rough pseudocode looks like this

var localCommand
    var SQLString
    SQLString = 'SELECT COUNTERID  FROM AUTOMATIONCOUNTERS( NOLOCK) WHERE NAME = :NAME'
    localCommand = ADO.CreateADOCommand();
    localCommand.CommandText = SQLString;
    localCommand.Parameters.ParseSQL(SQLString, true);
    localCommand.Parameters.ParamByName('NAME') = 'TestCounter'

To execute, you just need to make sure you assign a proper active connection to the command object and then call the Execute method on the command object.

This works very well for me... I have, actually, a complex ScriptExtension that does all this for me.  

Hope this helps.