Forum Discussion

Tony_1
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Question on setup of TestComplete using VM machines for testing.

Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a VM Server that will have all the VM machines that we will be using for testing.

The question that I have is how have you setup your environment?

I am using TestComplete with TFS as a source control manager. Most of my testing will be web based testing however I will be setting up different OS's. My thought would be to install TestComplete on all the VM's with different OS's, then Map a drive which will be pointing to the network location where the latest SourceCode. The reason for this is that I would not need to install TFS on all the machines.

does this sound correct? Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

TC

5 Replies

• Hi Tony,

Your approach seems to be quite reasonable. In addition to that, I recommend that you see the "Teamwork" ( http://www.automatedqa.com/support/viewarticle.aspx?aid=3172 ) help topic - it contains information on organizing similar scenarios.

BTW, please note that the number of licenses concerns virtual machines too, so I recommend that you examine the EULA and make sure that you have the appropriate number of licenses first.

Tony_1
    Occasional Contributor
    That's not a problem, as we will be moving  the TestComplete from the users Desktops to the VM's. Is there anything special we need to do besides uninstall TestComplete from the desktops?

Thanks!
  • Hi I have a question here,

We have recently bought Floating Licenses of TestComplete for our client and we would like to install the TestComplete software on Virtual Machines.

I came to know that the License Manager cannot be installed on a VM so what I wanted to do is install the License Manager on a Server grade laptop and then install the TestComplete softwares on the VMs.

Am I a thinking on the right lines? Will this be okay?
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Murali,

The computer where you are going to activate the license should meet the following requirements:

1. It must be a physical box.

2. There should be a LAN connection between the server and clients where TestComplete will be used.

Please refer to the "Using TestComplete on Virtual Machines" article for more information.