Forum Discussion

kusterg
Occasional Contributor
14 years ago

Problems with Code Explorer in TC 8

I am working often with Code Explorer Tab in Testcomplete. Since I updated to Version 8, Testcomplete often crashes when working with that tab, e.g. when I use Code Explorer to navigate to a piece of code and copy and paste it to a different position.

Also Code explorer tab automatically loses focus, when I double click the code I wish to work with.

Is that intentional, a general problem or is my environment the problem? I never had those problems before upgrading from 7.5 to 8.

6 Replies

• Hi there

Same problem here - with TestComplete 7.52 the Code Explorer tab was the tab I most used and never had problems with it. After upgrading to TestComplete 8 I have the following problems with the Code Explorer tab and find it unusable:

When the Code Explorer tab is displayed:

• TestComplete crashes, easily reproduced by forcing a compile error (I'm using VBScript), but also randomly crashes under normal use

• The sort order doesn't stay set (I prefer alphabetical but it always reverts after reloading)

• Hi Gaby and Blair,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will work to fix the problem in TestComplete 8 updates.
    John-ITA
    Occasional Contributor
    I'm getting similar bad results trying to edit code, especially with code completion turned on.  I'm on version 8.10.487.7. I've had the app send in a couple of the crash reports.  What is the status of these issues?

Thanks.

John

• Hi John,

I've searched through our DB, but I'm not sure what crash reports you mean. Can you let us know their IDs (Mxxxxxxx)? Note that you can submit a new support case if you do not want to divulge the IDs.

John-ITA
    Occasional Contributor
    I'm sorry I don't have any IDs to give you.  All I did was let the system send in the info it collected when the software crashed.  I think I did attach a message to one of them so you should have my email address.  The crashes happened around 12/20 or 12/21 when I was working on the code explore page.  I could probably reproduce the issue as it was happening almost every time I typed something.  Let me know if you want me to recreate the situation and collect any info for you.

John
  • Hi John,

Let me know if you want me to recreate the situation and collect any info for you.

Can you collect the following information for us?

1. Record a video which demonstrates reproducing the crash and send it to us. For example, you can use Jing, which is a free recorder.

2. If TC shows its dumper window when the crash occurs, there should be a dump file in the "C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\8.0\Logs\" (in Windows Vista or later) or "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\AutomatedQA\TestComplete\8.0\Logs\" (in other versions of Windows) directory. Check whether this directory contains a file whose name corresponds to the date and time of the crash. Send us this file.

BTW, you can submit a new support case regarding this issue, if needed.