Forum Discussion

avalesano
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Problem renaming scripts bound to TFS

Recently I've been trying out Team Foundation Server for source control and it has worked ok for the most part, but I've run into a problem with renaming files.

When I go to rename a script item in TestComplete by selecting it and hitting F2 or clicking Rename in the right click menu, it first tells me that I need to check out the Script item and then the script itself - this is fine.  Then the script is renamed within TestComplete but then the status icon on the renamed script immediately changes to Disabled.

TFS Version Control Icons

If I try to do a check-in then, the Script.tc item checks in fine, but the renamed item gives me this error:

After looking at what's going on in TFS through the Visual Studio Team Explorer, it seems like TestComplete is not actually performing a rename action on the script file and is instead just locally creating a new file with the new name and deleting the old file without actually telling TFS about it.  This is fine when not using source control, but causes you to lose the history of the renamed and the old file with the original name is not actually removed from the server.

Am I doing something wrong here?