Forum Discussion

shilpawdhw
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago

Need help to compare .rtf files

I am working with desktop application where in application generated word doc with .rtf extension . It has some highlighted text , some words with hyperling and can say few images. I want to compare two word file (.rtf) word to word and check if highlights is applied . words with hyperlink exist . Also I am looking to compare word document line by line. Currently I can only check , two documents are similar or different. I cannot check what exactly is the difference. Can any one help me with this. TIA

4 Replies

shilpawdhw
      Occasional Contributor

Hey I tried this but result is only for comparison . I want in in detail what if files are different , what are the differences.

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

Yes, as it was said by tristaanogre, as you need detailed and custom comparison report for some special data format, your options are either to parse that format yourself and compare according to your needs or to find a specialized comparison program/utility that can do what you need.

P.S. As a possible workaround you may consider to open the document in Word, WordPad, etc., set its window to some size, get an image of the document area and do image comparison with the base master image. You will need manually analyze later the reason of mismatch (incorrect highlighting, wrong hyperlinks, etc.). Obviously, this approach will work only if the same data are used for each test run.