Forum Discussion

maximojo
Frequent Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

Mobile web browser testing

Hi all

Just curious if TC supports testing of mobile web browsers yet? I see it can support hybrid apps so, if not, I assume that's a stepping stone along the path to full mobile browser support?

Thanks

m

• Hi Mark,

TestComplete 10.4 supports the WebView control for Android devices. Thus, theoretically, if you manage to instrument your mobile browser app, TestComplete will recognize objects on web pages. Our R&D team didn't try to work with standard mobile browsers. They created their own apps with the WebView control inside - everything was recognized fine.

As for the default browser pre-installed on Android devices, currently, only image-based recognition is possible on them.

7 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Mark,

TestComplete 10.4 supports the WebView control for Android devices. Thus, theoretically, if you manage to instrument your mobile browser app, TestComplete will recognize objects on web pages. Our R&D team didn't try to work with standard mobile browsers. They created their own apps with the WebView control inside - everything was recognized fine.

As for the default browser pre-installed on Android devices, currently, only image-based recognition is possible on them.

ankit05gupta
      Occasional Contributor

Hi Tanya

Please tell me the steps how do i launch chrome in android device in testcomplete version 10.6?

And when i try to do with the virtual browser i am getting this error look out the image.

Thanks

Ankit

maximojo
    Frequent Contributor
    Just to clarify I mean that you can launch a "TestedApp" as a mobile browser on the actual device (e.g. on iOS this would be Safari). So NOT on the Windows desktop as a virtual browser using Chrome.

So I assume on Android you'd be able to launch:

- the default browser

- Android Chrome 

m
    maximojo
    Frequent Contributor
    Any ideas anyone? Smartbear? 

I don't believe this is supported yet but want to be sure.

m
    maximojo
    Frequent Contributor
    Thanks Tanya!

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

I assume support at the object level for Android/Chrome (and possibly the stock browser) and iOS/Safari will come at some point.

Thanks for the reply!

m
  • Hi Tanya,

I am testing a web application on Android device/chrome browser.

The contents on the web page are not static, they keep changing frequently.

And my recorded script also fails everytime. 

Is this a kind of limitation on mobile web testing? Do we have any solution?

Thanks,

Nag
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Nag,

Have you managed to make TestComplete recognize individual web objects on a page? The browser app should be instrumented in this case.

Otherwise, TestComplete records image-based tests which are very sensitive to any changes. Please refer to the "Image-Based Testing Principles" article.

I would suggest that you try using TestComplete's Virtual Browser feature. It allows you to emulate a mobile browser on your desktop. Please refer to the "Testing Mobile Web Applications" article for details.