Forum Discussion

Claudiu_Adam
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago

JVM is crashing when running a test with TC10.5 which worked with TC9

Hello.

We migrated to TC 10.5. We have a lot of test cases which are working with TC 9, but when we run with TC 10.5, in some cases the JVM is crashing like the attached pict 1.

My questions are:

1. do I need to install JRE 8 maybe, in order to make the test cases work fine with TC10.5?

2. if I install JRE 8, if I want to run the test cases with TC 9, will still work?

Thank you,

Claudiu

5 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Claudiu,

TestComplete 9 doesn't officially support JRE 8. Thus, if you install this Java version, you will be unable to execute your tests in TC 9.

As for the issue you faced in TC 10.5, could you please answer the following questions to help us better understand what is going on:

- What Java version is currently installed on the computer?

- When does the crash occur (when executing the test or when exploring the objects in the object tree)?

- Does TestComplete recognize the objects of your app correctly in the Object Browser?

Claudiu_Adam
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Tanya.

1. I am using JRE 7 U40

2. I have installed both TC9 and TC10.5 on the same phisical machine

3. The jvm crash occurs when I launch the jnlp (so when executing the test).

Let me know if you have any idea about possile causes.

Thank you,

Claudiu Adam 
    TanyaYatskovska

Hi Claudiu,

I didn't hear about any issues in TestComplete 10.5 and JRE 7. Could you please contact our Support team to investigate this issue? Please follow the steps below to collect the information our R&D team will require for the analysis and attach it to the support ticket:

1. Run the Report Generator tool located in <TestComplete>\Bin\ReportGenerator.exe.

2. Select the "Launch/attach to TestComplete" option.

3. Run another instance of the Report Generator tool.

4. Select the "Track application launch" option, specify your application executable name and click Next. The Report Generator tool will wait until the application is launched and then will track all events in it.

5. Reproduce the problem.

6. Click the "Generate..." button in all instances of the Report Generator tool and save reports to a local folder.

leeasdf9
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi Claudiu Hi Tanya,

We can discuss about this issue in this thread, because i have same jre7.40 version as Claudiu does. And i also have TC9.31 and TC10.50 installed on the test machine.

The situation is following

- Start TC9.3 then start our java application, it works, no error dialog

but

- Start TC10.50 then start our java application, the jvm Launcher error dialog("Could not create the Java Virtual Machine. A fatal exception has occurred. Programm will exit." pops up"), and our java application cannot be started due to this error.

This JVM Exception is well explained in TC FAQ:

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/17612/

"TestComplete loads its helper modules into the address space of the tested Java application, and this increases the application's memory consumption."

It seems that TC10.50 loads more data and increases more application memorey than TC9 does, this was my concern.

And Thanks to Claudiu for providing error logs to Support Team :)

TanyaYatskovska

Hi Lee,

It would help us a lot if you provided the Support Team with your crash report in addition to Claudiu's one. Is it possible? 

Thanks in advance.