Forum Discussion

jose_pita
Super Contributor
11 years ago

Improve Testcomplete Code Editor or Work with a JScript IDE

Hi there,

I know it is a long shot (or maybe not) but anyone knows how to improve the Testcomplete Code Editor or get a way to work with an IDE (visual studio or eclipse) in wich it is possible to access my testcomplete files and functions?

10 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jose,

TestComplete's Code Editor provides many features that are similar to VS' ones. Refer to the "Using Code Editor" article for more information.

If you want us to implement some specific feature - please describe it in detail.

• You might look into creating a language plug-in for NotePad++.  The list of keywords, properties, and methods are all available in the TestComplete help document.  That is, of course, assuming you only wish to compose JSCRIPT code in an external editor.  If I remember correctly, you can even configure NotePad++ to autocomplete based off your keywording. You will not, however, be able to execute the scripts without TestComplete or TestExecute, but you can import the .js files directly to your current project.
    jose_pita
    Super Contributor
    Yes, it may have the same features, but is just not as "user friendly" as the other ones.

For example, code completion doesn't work with some objects, doesn't show methods or properties, automatic code identation or formatting would be a big plus.

Maybe its just because of jscript, i don't know...

hlalumiere
    Regular Contributor
    It's not, VBScript is the same. You cannot be serious comparing Visual Studio to TestComplete. VS is not perfect, but it is lightyears ahead of TC. The TestComplete IDE is sluggish, feels very dated, and in general the "features" mentionned only slow me down, and I end up disabling most of them. I am sure I am not the only one with that opinion either...
    jose_pita
    Super Contributor
    I started using "sublime text" yesterday and it is quite better, I just wish some of its functions were available on "testcomplete code editor" so that I don't have to be copying/pasting the code back and forth all the time...
    AttilaBalazs
    Occasional Contributor

Hi,

An improvement could be collapsible if, for, function etc code segments.

For JavaScript.

Cheers,

Atti

• I personally also am not fond of TestComplete's IDE. We heavily script code so cannot spend the whole day on an IDE I am not comfortable with. 

The work around I have is, create a workspace in NotePad++, copy the TC project script files in NotePad++. A few tips to make the transition easy:

- Create a work space in Notepad++

- Create a project within and add all the files there (its just a button click away)

- Customize the extensions supported, add '.sj' extension to use JavaScript language, that way whenever you open the file, don't have to explicitly change the language settings every time you open a file

Features of Notepad++ are very well know, so Im not going there.

Drawbacks:

- No intellicense - I dont use it anyway, we have a complete framework of our own, hardly using TC functions

- Cannot execute in NP++, yeah thats a bummer, no way around it except CTRL + C & V ! :)

- Ali

Happy Scripting!