Forum Discussion

sitasrikanth
Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

How to Read the Password text from EditBox

Hi,

I have a password box where Test complete is recognised as Edit in WndClass, 

With SetText method, i am able to enter the text in password box correctly. 

Can someone help me on how to read the text from password box?

FYI - WText property has error icon with text as "Error: Error

Failed to retrieve text from the edit box. The edit box has the ES_PASSWORD style."

• Hi Srikanth,

In most cases, there is no way to retrieve a secure password from the control with TestComplete since the control does not allow doing this. However, some edit controls allow doing this. See the "wPasswordChar Property (Edit Controls)" article to try it.

6 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Srikanth,

In most cases, there is no way to retrieve a secure password from the control with TestComplete since the control does not allow doing this. However, some edit controls allow doing this. See the "wPasswordChar Property (Edit Controls)" article to try it.

• I believe that this is the operating system security restriction - you cannot read the password value. Why do you need to read it?
  • I would like to know whether password entered in password field is correct or not before performing next action. Hence i would like to read the entered text in password box using some property.

Is there any way to get text from it??
  • Who is entering the password?

I think you should check it from another side - check the reaction of the tested application to the password. If the password is incorrect then your application will likely show an error.
  • Text Property is not available and it has Wtext Property but it has value as below -

W Text = "Error: Error

Failed to retrieve text from the edit box. The edit box has the ES_PASSWORD style."