Forum Discussion

se7ent7
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago
Solved

How do I parameterize Project Suite runs?

How can you parameterize Project Suite runs, as you can Projects, with a file input for example ?
Specifically, I want to Enable/Disable Projects in the Project Suite for different configured runs with TestExecute.

Support has indicated I can use COM, but it looks overly complicated for our purposes.

Can't I simply save different versions of the Project Suite (.pjs) file, with the different enabled/disabled Project combinations I need, and swop them out somehow using a script (Python perhaps), for different TestExecute runs?   Would that work?

Thanks,

Gerhardt

• Hi Gerhardt,

As you are talking exactly about project suites, I think that the best approach will be to create several project suites with different names and add needed projects to them. Then you should be able to execute this or that project suite from the command line.

If you are going to execute tests from different machines, you may also consider shared (networked) mode for the project suite (http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56384/) to have certain projects within the suite enabled/disabled when running from certain test machines.

5 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Gerhardt,

As you are talking exactly about project suites, I think that the best approach will be to create several project suites with different names and add needed projects to them. Then you should be able to execute this or that project suite from the command line.

If you are going to execute tests from different machines, you may also consider shared (networked) mode for the project suite (http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/56384/) to have certain projects within the suite enabled/disabled when running from certain test machines.

se7ent7
    Occasional Contributor

The problem with the Saving As of Project Suites is that TestComplete makes new copies of all the Projects and their files!  This is very annoying, and makes it unuseable for "sharing" project code in many Project Suite files (and for saving the Enabled/Disabled combinations I need as described above).

AlexKaras, do you know it works like this?  Is there perhaps a way to get past it?  It's pretty useless for my use as it is.

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

Hi,

No need to Save As... from within TestComplete. Just make a copy of your <projectSuite>.pjs and related files (.pjs.tcLS, pjs.tcNET, etc.) using Windows Explorer.

colinstrydom
      Occasional Contributor

My suggestion is to edit the main pjs file externally, before starting up the project. Or keep copies of configurations, and replace them before starting the tests, depending on which test you need to fire off.

If you open the PJS file in something like Notepad, you can see how to enable and disable projects.

This is easier to mange, than to have multiple copies in one project

Hope this helps