Forum Discussion

Decapent
New Contributor
12 years ago

Functional Testing using a VM

Greetings,

I'm currently looking into using Testcomplete 9 for automating functional tests. I'm running a VM with my database and application that need to be tested on it.

If I record a test by clicking on the various controls outside de VM, I get the outputted test the way I want it (Action are binded to the control directly instead of record the position of the click on the screen).

However, when I start interacting with my application via the VM, Testcomplete doesn't record any key stroke whatsoever and bind my action to a position on the screen instead of binding it directly to the control.

Is there a way to have the same behavior inside the VM for recording my test that I get recording the test outside ? (See attached image)

3 Replies

TonyMro
    Occasional Contributor
    TestComplete must be installed on the VM test environment. TestComplete cannot verify or interact with your AUT's UI if the AUT is installed on a guest VM while TestComplete is installed on the host.
    Decapent
    New Contributor
    Thanks for the info. I did installed it on my VM this morning and keyword registration seems fine.

However, my application is closing by itself upon interacting with it. What is mean by that is that i can launch the application just fine and interact with it but when I try recording tests all I can automate is the launch of the tested app.

Does it have something to do with TestComplete or am I in front of some sort of design flaw on my end ?

To give everyone a background check of my situation, I recently got hired by a company that want to incorporate Automated testing... so I may be dealing with a lot of legacy systems.

Thanks for the help!

Anonymous

Hi Patrick,

Could you please clarify: by using TestComplete, you record starting of your tested app, and once it's launched, it's closing suddenly?