Forum Discussion

Nihilis
Occasional Visitor
9 months ago

Floating license through SmartBear ID-based Licenses

Hello,

Perhaps a silly question, but the supporting information I could find didn't entirely make this clear to me (License Types | License Management Documentation (smartbear.com) doesn't entirely seem to line up with the new ID-based license type SmartBear ID-based Licenses | TestComplete Documentation)

We recently purchased one floating license for TestComplete, allowing a single user to be active on the system at any given time (and also on virtual machines).

From what I gather we seem to be using the new ID-based license, which has been applied to one account. The idea is that we have a group of users that could work on the system, but there will always only be one active at any given time.

Is my understanding correct that this account then needs to be shared across that group of users and that if anyone tries to login while another is active it will simply prevent them (or in a less optimal scenario allow it and kick the other user out)? Perhaps in combination with a password vault or something along those lines.

Thanks,

Frederik

1 Reply

• Hej,

the easiest way to be sure would be to ask your SmartBear sales representative. You still got 2 days. 😉

We already switched a couple of month ago to ID-based licensing. The behavior is absolutely the same as before. The only difference is that you create a login for each user and the unique user logs into TestComplete with their credentials. However, if you only have one TestComplete license like in your example, only one user can work with it at a time.