Forum Discussion

teemu_selkala
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

Filtering tag-values from an xml file

Sorry if this is too close to this thread: http://smartbear.com/forums/f74/t76212/Search-for-a-string-in-excel-workbook

Anyways. I have a scenario where I test databases by inputting a changing xml file to database and want to verify that values were inputted correctly. It might be that I search with wrong keyword but trying to find something with keyword "filter" brought up something very different I was looking :).

So I have e.g.

<tag_name = "Tag_value"> inside a file and I would like to filter out Tag_value in order to compare it to database values but I didn't at least yet find any convinient way to handle this - so any help is apprichiated - link to corrent help file, examples, etc.

Thank you and best seasonal greetings to all :)

5 Replies

teemu_selkala
    Occasional Contributor

Hi,

First of all, happy new year to all those who already celebrated it :). Related to above question my goal initially was that I would filter our from xml log created whether on console window output-stream there is a name of a specific file when I check what all is contained in specific folder.

After that I read stdOut method that I could use for storing stream from console window and I was wondering would there be easier way to handle what I want (=checking whether a specific file name is within a specific folder).

so if I store input from console to something like...

Recset = commandwindow.stdOut

Recset.MoveFirst();

while (Recset ! EOF)

{

if(Recset.Value == "File_I_Want_to_check")

{

Do_actions_I_want_to_do

}

Recset.MoveNext()

}

so would something like this do the trick? Just kind of wondering could I do things easier than currently

Thank you for your help =)
    teemu_selkala
    Occasional Contributor
    ups, sorry, misclick posted too early, so getting output with following code:

function CheckIfThereIsXMLinInputFolder()

{

// Launch console

var shell = Sys.OleObject("WScript.Shell");

var exec = shell.Exec("console I use for testing");

// Input text to winscp.com window

exec.StdIn.Write(

"open session\n" +

"cd folder I check the xml file existense on server\n" +

"ls\n" +

"exit\n");

// we store all output from the winscp.com window

var output = exec.StdOut.ReadAll();

// we store up status from going through output and searching from it if there

// is an file with .xml ending there

var result = aqString.Find(output,".xml")

// if we find a file with .xml ending we do this

if(result != -1)

Log.Message("Found an file with .xml ending, therefore need to run xyz again")

// and if we don't we can happily proceed with copying files...

else

Log.Message("Didn't find any xml ending files")

}