Forum Discussion

kevinkleint
Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Detecting New Objects

Hi .... please forgive me if this is a completely novice question.

We want to be able to run a test that checks a panel (AfxWnd100 or wndAfx) for new objects. Is there a certain technique that works? Can we do this through a regular keyword test, or does it have to be scripted?

Thank you,

Kevin Kleint

• Hi Kevin,

As the class name of this window may change from run to run, you need to enable the Auto-correct Afx window class names option in TestComplete. Refer to the "Engines - General Options" article for more information.

5 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Kevin,

As the class name of this window may change from run to run, you need to enable the Auto-correct Afx window class names option in TestComplete. Refer to the "Engines - General Options" article for more information.

• That's some great information, however it doesn't necessarily answer my question. If I have a control ... like a tab control. And each time I test it, I want the test to verify if there have been any controls added/deleted from the tab control. How would I do that?

Kevin
    TanyaYatskovska

Hi Kevin,

To clarify: do you want to check whether the target control is displayed on the tab panel?

• What I want to be able to do is test to see if there is a change in the NUMBER of controls on the tab panel. The application that we test goes through many upgrades/change packages each year. Controls can be added (or taken away) and I want to be notified when this happens.

For example, if we have 2 text boxes on the tab panel ... I want to check to see if any controls were added or deleted. Are there now 3 controls? Did they take away 1?

Thanks
    TanyaYatskovska

Hi Kevin,

You can check the value of the ChildCount property of the window - it returns the number of children the window has.

Or, you can use the FindAllChildren method to find all text boxes on the target window and get its count.