Forum Discussion

stephen_araghun
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Creating KWT tests via scripting

Hello Smart Bear Community!

I am interested in creating Keyword tests via an outside creating applications.

Here are the Details:

1. User Enters an ID of a test

2. Test has several logs to message

3. Application writes the xml

4. Application saves as Keyword Test format

Now I have steps 1 and 2 down. What I need help with is creating the appropriate XML-like structure for generating Keyword Tests in this manner. 

Thank you all who view for your time and effort, and if you need more details, please ask :-)

Thanks!

Stephen

7 Replies

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert

Hi Stephen, can I ask exactly why you would want to do this?

I only ask as Keyword Tests are highly complex and this is a non trivial task, you would effectively be re-writing a large chunk of the Test Complete IDE.

If you can give more of a background as to why you want to do this, someone may be able to  point out an existing Test Complete feature that fulfills your requirements without the necessity of such a large undertaking

Regards,

Phil Baird

stephen_araghun
    Occasional Contributor
    My goal is to help developers create tests by having predefined log actions in the atc already present. This will serve to ensure that they preform each action indicated by the given logs.
    Philip_Baird
    Community Expert
    Would it be possible to provide samples of what the logs you wish process into Keyword Tests look like?

Phil
    stephen_araghun
    Occasional Contributor
    Test data from Database

1. Validate Row One has Values 1, 2, 3

2. Validate Row Two has Values  3, 4, 5

Script will generate steps:

Group 1 - Validate Row One

-  Valdate value 1 Log

-  Valdate value 2 Log

-  Valdate value 3 Log

Group 2 - Validate Row Two

-  Valdate value 4 Log

-  Valdate value 5 Log

-  Valdate value 6 Log

Philip_Baird
    Community Expert
    Have you looked at Data-Driven Testing? This may provide you with the feature set necessary to create a Framework within Test Complete whereby Developers can just give you some standard files, in formats such as CSV and Excel, that Test Complete can process and run as test cases.

Anyway, it may be something worth looking at,

Phil
    stephen_araghun
    Occasional Contributor
    Data-Driven Testing is a cool feature, but it is not what I am looking for.

I would like to create those groups of validations, which will vary greatly in what they are validationg on from Grids, Trees, Tabs, Checkboxes ETC.

Developers then use these logs in the generated KWT as an outline to put in the right validations and actions

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Stephen,

Have you heard anything about another SmartBear product - TestRecorder? This is a set of libraries that can be built in your tested application. It helps you record a test over your application and converts the test to TestComplete's Keyword Test format (or to script). Refer to the "TestRecorder Information" article for more information.