Forum Discussion

SlickRick's avatar
SlickRick
Contributor
12 months ago

Azure Pipeline - Visual Studio Test - Test execute fails to run (but was working yesterday)

Well, another day another question. ๐Ÿ˜„

Yesterday my build was working fine and my tests were passing on a given project.

Today it seems like my Visual Studio Test  suddenly fails with the following message:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\2022\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\TestPlatform\vstest.console.exe" D:\agent\_work\24\s\Src\XXX.UITests_TC\XXX.UITests_TC.pjs /logger:trx "/TestAdapterPath:\"D:\agent\_work\24\s\""
Microsoft (R) Test Execution Command Line Tool Version 17.6.0 (x64)
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
 
Starting test execution, please wait...
A total of 1 test files matched the specified pattern.
Failed to get a list of tests from the "D:\agent\_work\24\s\Src\XXX.UITests_TC\XXX.UITests_TC.pjs" file due to the following error: Cannot start process because a file name has not been provided.
No test is available in D:\agent\_work\24\s\Src\XXX.UITests_TC\XXX.UITests_TC.pjs. Make sure that test discoverer & executors are registered and platform & framework version settings are appropriate and try again.
 
No changes were made to my project and no change to the pipeline itself. It is a bit strange.

I tried running testexecute directly on the machine in question and it is running fine.

I was wondering if anyone got this issue and could point me in the right direction. I find the logs to be not very verbose, i don't even see how TestExecute is called... ๐Ÿ˜• 

 

15 Replies

  • AlexKaras's avatar
    AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

    SlickRick :

    Hi,

     

    I believe that I can confirm this problem. Support case #00560527 has been created for it.

    To check if your case corresponds to mine, can you check the output provided to pipeline log by TestComplete Test Adapter step for the passed and failed pipeline execution? I am interested in the version value. For me, pipeline worked with Adapter version 1.15040.421 and started to fail when adapter updated itself to version 1.15053.9.

     

    D0UG :

    Doug, could you please draw Support's attention to this case? The thing that makes it to be a critical showstopper is that it seems to be not possible to rollback adapter to some previous version and/or prohibit automatic updates. (Well, at least our DevOps failed to find how to do this. I will really appreciate it if someone describes here how to do this if this is possible.)

     

    • D0UG's avatar
      D0UG
      Community Manager

      AlexKaras I've reached out to our support team. I'll report back when I have answers.

  • Yes! this is exactly my case...

     

    The version that worked is indeed:

    Version : 1.15040.421
     
    and  the failing one is:
    Version : 1.15053.9
     
    I would have never though of checking this one... 
  • We're getting the same error.  Also attempted to run TestExecute and TestComplete manually on the test agents and was unable to, it just hung.  The Azure DevOps pipleline logging was identical.

  • I also noted on the "Search for test cases" selector in the TestComplete adapter installer was locked as "Execution Plan" and could not be changed.

     

    • NDEN's avatar
      NDEN
      New Member

      I had exactly the same problem with the runs of my test from Azure Devops.
      To solve it, you can try the fellowing actions:
      1_Fom the task "VsTest- testassembly", clear the field "Test filter criteria"

       


      2_Execute the pipeline => TestExceute runs the test without the error message
      3_Write your filter one more time in "Test filter criteria" (in my case, I tried another filter criteria like "Name~MyTestName" just before and runned one more the pipeline=> everything was fine)

      4_Run your pipeline=> Everything should be OK. No error message about  "a file name has not been provided".

      Hope this procedure solved your problem as it solved mine.

      Regards