Forum Discussion

tslosar
Contributor
11 years ago

Trying to locate issue - help with log config

Hello
I am trying to debug an issue where soapUI mockservices seemi to hang tomcat however I am having trouble with logging. I have 3 mockservices deployed and working. When these get hit hard they eventually make tomcat hang.

I have a /classes directory (in all 3 webapps directories) containing log4j.xml and log4j.properties and have tried specifying -Dsoapui.logroot however the logs seem to be all over the place. Log level is specified as "TRACE" however the logs, when I find them, don't have detail about executed mockservices.

I have found logs in /soapui, /soapui/log, /classes and /classes/log - but in only one of the three webapps mockservice directories! Also, I have found logs from my other tomcat application in these directories when I specify -Dsoapui.logroot however no logs are in that specified directory!

What i would like to do, if possible, is have control over the log level and have the logs for all 3 mockservices in their own directories, preferably like /opt/tomcat-6.0.18/webapps/MR/WEB-INF/logs. Also prevent any log entries going into catalina.out.

Also for some reason when -Dsoapui.logroot is set in the tomcat startup script it reports "no such file or directory" even though it does exist.

Using soapUI 4.6.2 on tomcat 6.0.18 on CentOS 5.9.

Config files attached.

Thank you kindly for your help.

4 Replies

• Just noticed this line in catalina.out

log4j:ERROR Could not create an Appender. Reported error follows.
    java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.eviware.soapui.support.log.SoapUIAppender

Is there some library missing in /lib?

Also found this:
    Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: /opt/lf523-motive/tomcat-6/0/18/webapps/logs/soapui
    Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: .opt.lf523-motive.tomcat-6.0.18.webapps.logs.soapui

the path above /opt... is what I am trying to set as my log root...

Also found: 16:51:13,720 WARN [SoapUI] Missing folder [/opt/lf523-motive/tomcat-6.0.18/webapps/MR/ext] for external libraries

However there are no external libraries needed - even when I select that option when creating war file no directory is created...
  • Just found soapui-errors.log and soapui.log in /root.
    Please help.
    redfish4ktc2
    Super Contributor
    Hi,
    setting the soapui.logroot property allow you to define where soapui default configuration will generate log files
    if you want to use your own log4j configuration file, set the path to your file with the property soapui.log4j.config (see this post http://forum.soapui.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 119#p43119)

regarding your class not def found error, yes you should have a log4j.jar in the lib directory of the war
  • Thank you for the reply. I will add that property and see if it helps.
    Kind regards, Tony