Forum Discussion

Samrayen
Occasional Contributor
4 months ago
Solved

Oracle DB-19.3 config in SOAPUI 5.7.2

I am trying to connect oracle 19.3 db in soapui 5.7.2 which  ojdbc version jar will start to connect the soapui. 

Please let me know if you have any solution

• Hey Samrayen,

Just a follow up to Rao's response

The approach i always follow whenever trying to configure an RDBMS (whatever RDBMS...oracle, mimer, DB2, SQLServer, MySQL, etc.) connection in soapui/readyAPI! is always the same (excepting the one unique implementation difference they all seem to have)

I determine the version of RDBMS i want to connect to in your instance it's Oracle v19.3

I then search for which version of JDBC driver is required to connect to Oracle v19.3 (https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/jdbc-downloads.html) and i download that file.  Quite often there are more than 1 drivers files required to connect (i.e. for SQLServer i've had to download 3 different driver files depending on the connectionnsetup config)  

I then google what version of Java (JDK/JRE) is required to support the particular version of jdbc drivers files required to connect to the particular DB version and i download that version of JDK (if it isn't already installed) and make sure that the correct environment variables have been updated to point to the correct JDK version

So you're connecting to Oracle v19.3 you said, so you have a bit of a choice here.

ojdbc8.jar and ojdbc11.jar (both require different versions of JDK runtime.) 

ojdbc8.jar uses JDKv8 and v11  

ojdbc11.jar uses JDKv11, v17, v19, v21

Other parts of your system your working on (nothing to do with oracle) might need 1 version of JDK over the other.  If there's no other system requirement, 1 versions as good as another.

Oh.  1 more thing.  With Oracle RDBMS,  it has its own concept of "service_name" and "sid"

In the JDBC connection string for oracle you need to specify thr service name or sid. An sid is the unique name for the db server and the service_name is an alias for a db server.

Whether you're connecting to an oraclr sid or an oracle service_name changes the config of the jdbc connection string slightly, so you need to know which one you're connecting to and then ensure your Oracle JDBC connection string config is set correctly relative to sid vs service name.

I've probably gone a little overboard with the help,but i just wanted to emphasise,that this is the basic approach i follow whichever is the vendor of the RDBMS im trying to connect to

Cheers,

Rich

2 Replies

richie
    Community Hero

Hey Samrayen,

Just a follow up to Rao's response

The approach i always follow whenever trying to configure an RDBMS (whatever RDBMS...oracle, mimer, DB2, SQLServer, MySQL, etc.) connection in soapui/readyAPI! is always the same (excepting the one unique implementation difference they all seem to have)

I determine the version of RDBMS i want to connect to in your instance it's Oracle v19.3

I then search for which version of JDBC driver is required to connect to Oracle v19.3 (https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/jdbc-downloads.html) and i download that file.  Quite often there are more than 1 drivers files required to connect (i.e. for SQLServer i've had to download 3 different driver files depending on the connectionnsetup config)  

I then google what version of Java (JDK/JRE) is required to support the particular version of jdbc drivers files required to connect to the particular DB version and i download that version of JDK (if it isn't already installed) and make sure that the correct environment variables have been updated to point to the correct JDK version

So you're connecting to Oracle v19.3 you said, so you have a bit of a choice here.

ojdbc8.jar and ojdbc11.jar (both require different versions of JDK runtime.) 

ojdbc8.jar uses JDKv8 and v11  

ojdbc11.jar uses JDKv11, v17, v19, v21

Other parts of your system your working on (nothing to do with oracle) might need 1 version of JDK over the other.  If there's no other system requirement, 1 versions as good as another.

Oh.  1 more thing.  With Oracle RDBMS,  it has its own concept of "service_name" and "sid"

In the JDBC connection string for oracle you need to specify thr service name or sid. An sid is the unique name for the db server and the service_name is an alias for a db server.

Whether you're connecting to an oraclr sid or an oracle service_name changes the config of the jdbc connection string slightly, so you need to know which one you're connecting to and then ensure your Oracle JDBC connection string config is set correctly relative to sid vs service name.

I've probably gone a little overboard with the help,but i just wanted to emphasise,that this is the basic approach i follow whichever is the vendor of the RDBMS im trying to connect to

Cheers,

Rich