Forum Discussion

SCamire
New Contributor
10 years ago

What are the parts of the file name for test case output?

When running testrunner, test cases can output a file on failure (or on success in addition to failure with a switch). The name for this file appears to be made up of a few different pieces of information and I'd like to get some clarification on some parts that aren't clear.

I have a test suite called TestSuite and I have a test case called TestCase1. TestCase1 has a test step called Get. If an assertion fails in Get, then a file is generated called TestSuite-TestCase1-Get-0-FAILED.txt.

What I'm not clear about is what the number 0 refers to. I thought maybe it was included in the event that the file TestSuite-TestCase1-Get-0-FAILED.txt already exists and it would be incremented to 1 to prevent overwriting, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Can anyone tell me what the number 0 represents and it's purpose for inclusion? Thanks.

2 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    It is observed that the number does incremented indeed when a test case has multiple steps(one of them is groovy script step), but one is controlling the execution of test steps within a groovy script step itself.
    SCamire
    New Contributor
    Oh. So in the event that a test case has multiple steps, each with assertions, it will generate a new file for each failed step and increment the number at the end of the file name? That's neat, and very useful for me to know as I'm crafting a solution to automate testing on our build server.