Forum Discussion

andrewpmast
Contributor
13 years ago

Upgrade to 4.50 causing problem with test execution

I have a project file (attached). When I open it with 4.0, it's business as usual.... When I open it with 4.5, everything looks the same on the UI. But, tests are failing because execution is using xml "con" elements in the project file that are not even available to me in the UI and are no longer used at all. I don't even know why they are still in the project file.

Open the attached file in notepad. Note all these references to, "<con:username>admin</con:username". That username is not in the UI anywhere and perhaps at some point in the past I had values of "admin" in the connection username. But now, I use variables (${#Project#username} with a single project level property for the username. For whatever reason, in 4.5, the test cases are trying to use those static connection values and it's causing all those tests to fail. Version 4.0 doesn't use those static values, but rather the variable "${#Project#username} which is how it appears in the UI.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

A good example is lines 3-30... I don't even know what those are. Those values are nowhere to be found through the UI.

9 Replies

• Tried NIGHTLY too, no change, the file is reading those "admin" connection elements (which aren't even used anymore) and 4.0 does it right and ignores those connection elements.
  • I really could use some insight on this. Our production of test execution is down right now.

One thing I have noticed is that all my service endpoints are in triples... just highlight a wsdl and look at the service endpoints. I don't recall making triples of them all.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hello,

I'm seeing in your project that for some request username/password in Aut tab is set as constant ( admin ) and for some
    property expansion is used ( ${#Project#username} ). Is that intentional?

robert
    /Smartbear
  • SmartBear Support wrote:
    Hello,

I'm seeing in your project that for some request username/password in Aut tab is set as constant ( admin ) and for some
    property expansion is used ( ${#Project#username} ). Is that intentional?

robert
    /Smartbear

Thanks for responding. You're correct, actually, no static Aut tab values should exist other than occassional use of username, " ${#Project#userwithoutprivileges}" when testing for bad credentials. That project was very dirty as I learned to to use SOAPUI and make wiser choices. I do apologize for that. With that said, there's clearly a difference from 4.0 to 4.5 in how the Authentication is chosen, perhaps more CORRECTLY in 4.5! This means clean-up time for me before I can upgrade.

I've managed to clean all the duplicate Service Endpoints for each WSDL and put those project level username/passwords for the Service Endpoint values. But, now I have all those orphan username/password values in the request's Aut tabs.

Is there any way to globally wipe out the Aut tab username/password values with empty values, so that I can start fresh without them? Do I have to set the Service Endpoint username and password to blank values and then assign to "All requests and Test Requests"? If that's the only way, then I'll do it and then make sure execution is working.

Thanks again!
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hello,

If you open interface panel, then "Service Endpoints" tab. There you can add Endpoints, set username/password for them. Than if you want that values
    set in this panel override those on Request panel set mode OVERRIDE ( see last column ).

robert
    /Smartbear
    Hello,

If you open interface panel, then "Service Endpoints" tab. There you can add Endpoints, set username/password for them. Than if you want that values
    set in this panel override those on Request panel set mode OVERRIDE ( see last column ).

robert
    /Smartbear

OK. That will work. Or, I can just remove the username/password from each Aut field as I review each request. It will take a while, but ultimately will be cleaned up. The problem with OVERRIDE is that there are a few requests when I DO want to use a specific username. But thanks, at least I know what is needed. And hopefully when all is cleaned up, I can upgrade to 4.5 without a problem.

Andy
  • Robert,

I cleaned all the endpoints up, and opened 4.5 and ran the tests... same issues! BUT, I deleted the WORKSPACE file and loaded the project. It complained that all these wsdls were missing (all the ones in my project), but if I just said OK and ignored it, I opened the project, it got new copies of the wsdl and was fixed! So, if anything, you might want to look at the workspace file and what happens to it when you upgrade from 4.0 to 4.5.

Andy
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Hello,

Can you send us soapui.log and soapui-error.log files ? You should find them in soapUI's bin folder. We'll try to reproduce this,
    but those logs could speed things.

robert
    /Smartbear
    Hello,

Can you send us soapui.log and soapui-error.log files ? You should find them in soapUI's bin folder. We'll try to reproduce this,
    but those logs could speed things.

robert
    /Smartbear

Robert,

Thanks. Attached are the new project file all cleaned up, the soapui-errors.log, soapui.log.

Just so you know, I can run this entire project with SOAPUI 4.0 and all those tests pass. I run them with 4.5 and I start getting those InsufficientPrivilegeExceptions returned from our endpoint API. The user "Admin" is the ONLY user in our system that would create that InsufficientPrivilegesException. The problem appears that the user "Admin" is being used to make requests. It's like 4.5 is using authentication that 4.0 doesn't. I can't see the username in the logs that SOAPUI is attempted to use for authentication, BUT, I can assure you that it's using Admin because as soon as I grant admin all the rights, all those tests pass!