Forum Discussion

GuillermoD
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

[Resolved]LoadUI pro sales missleads to multiplaform support

Dear SmartBear team:

I got the LoadUI Pro software thinking that I would use the software on the mac platform and linux as agents.

after investing many many hours trying to guess things and with the help of your videos and documentation it turns out that in one hand all the marketing and downloads leads that everything is supported in windows, mac and linux, on the other part of the documentation or lack of details contradicts the fact that only windows is really supported.

the facts are, yes using JVM allows to develop on multiplatform but:

1. Mac platform is not really supported for the latest version on LoadUI. Only SoapUI works. The link was changed a day before I complained about is to point to an old version of the mac platform.

2. I was suggested to virtualize the main load ui program to windows and said, well ok I will use VM. Under a fresh install of win7 OS I with the latest updates from MS and the latest Oracle Java 7 version I installed the LoadUI. The product has serious User interfase problems that make the products almost un-usable. Menus cannot be read and options some options are over others. (attaching a screen shot)..

3. Even when I could expect that the product could work in windows XP there is no place to unregister my licence and try other OS since there is no mention that the product just works on certain scenario or OS version. At least in win7 by default does not work, and seems like tech support has nothing to say about this. I understand companies can take days to give an answer, but since you license things by time (a year) its clear that each day cost, and each day that there is a bug should be cover by the company not to the customer.

4. With the hope I could install 2 or 3 Linux servers with the agent to test, I just found out that the software cannot be operated via SSH. that I need to use a buggy AMI in Amazon WS. Dont get my wrong, I like Amazon, but are many many cheap cloud hosting services ideal to load test a solution that is placed and mounted with a good platform of cache servers and load balancers . I was expecting to install the agent on 20 or 30 machines all over the world not only in amazon where prices are not the best !! Now, the other solution you give is to use a linux machine with GUI? we do have local servers and could install linux desktops or set the UI to the server but it is not clear the require components that need to be loaded. There is just an excuse in http://www.loadui.com/Installing-Agent/ ... linux.html saying "Due to the migration to JavaFX2 installing the Linux Agent in an environment that does not have a screen has become problematic. " saying we need to wait for Jave 8? come on guys! you are better than that. A good agent can be done in lower versions of Java. If this cannot be done, its ok, its not up to me. But don't sell the product saying there is support for linux backing things up by an amazon AMI or with a hope of java 8.

5. The only response Ive got from any SMARTBEAR employee is from a sales person telling me there are no refunds or that my emails where fwd to the tech support (that have never answer). I am not asking for a refund, I am asking for things to work as they are suggested on the website. And if they don't work and your are an ethical software company you could return what was paid to a customer that cannot use your product for a good reason. I am not a beta tester and hate to be writing something like this.. but I just feed terrible by investing $ on something that is leading me no where with so much time invested on learning how your product works.

Conclusion:

I am sure there might be better customers to take care of but don't take me wrong. I am not one of those customers that complains for everything, but I really hate software companies that have grate sales guys/website that will just ignore real technical issues.

I would love for someone to answer me before I just walk away with nothing to do but loose my NON REFUNDABLE investment as the sales guy told me

PD

here is the official amazon ami you have available as the only option to use linux as agent .. when you turn it on:

-----

ubuntu@ip-10-80-178-163:~$ /etc/init.d/loadui-agent start
Starting loadUI Agent
ubuntu@ip-10-80-178-163:~$ Prism ES2 Error - nInitialize: glXChooseFBConfig failed

(process:1222): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":99.0".

4 Replies

GuillermoD
    Occasional Contributor
    Update:

On XP Pro SP2 is not working either.

The only 2 things that are left to try are,

1. to use 32 bit OS's or
    2. use other Virtualizer (I use VMWare Fusion latest paid version, and have no problems with any software I've test)

I dont belive any of this are the problem..
    SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hello there,

Our ambition is to provide support on all commonly used platforms, that includes OSX, most Linux distributions and Windows.
    We still support those systems, but users are limited to LoadUI 2.1.2 at the moment, as the old versions are still reachable. A fix is being deviced for LoadUI Pro for OSX.

The cause:
    ==================================================
    We currently do not have a crisp version of 2.5 for Linux or Mac since JavaFX2 contains bugs that stops them from working properly. These have been fixed but will not be released until Java8 according to Oracles JIRA, their external bug-tracking system. One of those is to show windows relying on the AWT-packages in OSX using JavaFX, running JavaFX in a headless environment in Linux and so forth. The first of those problems is the worst kind since it breaks a licensing system, that's why we can release the OS-version but not the Pro one. It forces us to build a workaround which has proven to become quite cumbersome. We realize that neither you nor anyone else currently a customer and limited to those platforms has the time, money nor will to wait that long.

To try to answer your questions:

1. The mac platform is supported in the old version, and will be for the new version within a few weeks if everything goes according to plan. The only huge difference between 2.1 and 2.5 is the platform-change to JavaFX2 from JavaFX1 which only makes it a little slower than the newest version.

2. You are suggested to virtualize if platforms becomes an issue, we do try to assure that LoadUI works properly in as many systems and setups as possible. After checking it seems that VMWare Fusion has not been tested. I can, however, confirm that it works with Oracle VirtualBox quite nicely.

3. As for unregistering your license you can do that using the logotype -> deactivate license, if that is clickable, otherwise contact our support it's the blue line in your screenshot at the top left corner inside VMWare Fusion. If that does not work out then say so in this thread or send a licensing support ticket here and we will solve that.

4. Yes it works by using SSH, and no you do not need to wait for Java8. I'm suggesting that Java8 will remove the hassle of installing the agents and then installing third-party dependencies and defining a virtual frame buffer as a workaround for the JavaFX-bug, a more thorough response can be found in the topic you created for that here. The Amazon AMI is just one solution, it's not the solution, and since i personally haven't seen that error-message about locale in an EC2-image i'll create an issue for that to see if there is anything we can do. I do know that when i startup an AMI from scratch then it does indeed work from the start to connect to, just takes a moment when started up in LoadUI (blinking red == not working, solid red == working). Otherwise consult the startup script in /etc/rc.local and compare to a working EC2 instance.

5. Our line of support is situated in Sweden. Swedes celebrate Ascension-day as a public holiday that was the 9th and 10th of may, so nobody was in office to provide support. Sales are situated in the US, so that's why they answered quickly.

So with that out of the way, let's summarize what you can try to do right now:
    Until we have a native .dmg-file for 2.5.4 for you, which should be a few weeks.

1. To stay in OSX as a platform for now, try Oracle VirtualBox with Windows 7 or XP or W2000, it should work otherwise i'd like some screenshots of it not working, we will look into why VMWare Fusion is currently not working as intended. We are currently devising a fix for LoadUI Pro for Mac OSX, a fair guess would be that it is released within 2-3 weeks as it is quite big.

2. For agents in Linux, Try the Agent-guide again, with the additions made in the other topic here.

3. Try connecting to the AMI after having created the image from scratch, it should work.

4. If you encounter licensing issues, use the website and it will be taken care of by licensing if it is not possible to deactivate using the icon.

5. If all else fails , try the older version 2.1.2 that can be found here

I'm happy to assist with any further problems you might have, and we are here to help!
    Best regards,
    Mikael
    SmartBear Sweden
    GuillermoD
    Occasional Contributor
    Mikael, have you being able to reproduce the User interface problems? I am not able to distribute my load because of that. As mention before I've tried Win7 and XP under VMWare Fusion 5 and cannot reproduce a working version in any way.

I will use any OS you tell me but I really need to get things going and being able to distribute the load.

thanks
    GuillermoD
    Occasional Contributor
    I found a solution to the UserInterface problem on VMWare fusion 5

the ui does not suppot video acceleration. I turn it off and now I can see it all. the only thing is that display size is very limited in size.