Forum Discussion

cdunne
Contributor
17 years ago

Listeners - Modifying Requests before posting to a Service

Hi,

We have a large number of optional elements in our Service requests. One of the issues I am coming accross regularly is a number of them cannot be passed as empty tags due to the type declaration.

We have build a framework driven from excel datasheets but we don't want to have to build large numbers of template requests based on different business rules.

Is there a way of only stripping the empty optional elements before a request is sent to the service? Does SoapUI Pro have this functionality or do I need to script something to handle it?

One way I thought would be to have a listener that calls a script to remove any empty elements from the request by default unless specified in the datasheet. Is this possible? I can't find any examples of using a listener on a particular test step or any examples of where I would start.

Thanks

Darren

16 Replies

• Hi Ole,

I had an older version of SoapUI Pro on the machine which I removed, plus I removed all my scripts. I now get teh following error at startup.

09:05:36,752 INFO  [DefaultSoapUICore] Adding listeners from [C:\Program Files\e
    viware\soapUI-Pro-2.0.3\bin\listeners\demo-listeners.xml]
    Error initializing Listener: java.lang.RuntimeException: Listener class: soapui.
    demo.DemoListener must implement interface: com.eviware.soapui.model.testsuite.T
    estRunListener

Makes a bit more sense now.
    Cheers

Darren
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Darren,

duh.. the fault is mine.. the config should be

listenerInterface="com.eviware.soapui.impl.wsdl.submit.RequestFilter" />

works better?

regards,

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Hi Ole,

Thanks for that, it now appears to be running the filter. Any way of checking if the correct request is being sent?

I've tried adding

SoapUI.log.info("request sent:   "+context.getProperty( BaseHttpRequestTransport.REQUEST_CONTENT ))

after the new message is set but that prints the request unmodified. Is this correct, if so then I must have a problem with the filter?

Cheers

Darren
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Darren,

hmm again :-) In what does this not work? Gives an error? Shows the wrong request? etc..

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com
  • Hi Ole,

Oh yeah sorry if I add --empty-- in an element I would expect that element to be stripped out of the request. For example,

MDUserDescTyMeteor
                MDAppDescTyWeb
                MDAppIDTyMDS

--empty--

--empty--

I would expect the following request to be sent,

MDUserDescTyMeteor
                MDAppDescTyWeb
                MDAppIDTyMDS

If I add that extra line in the filter, after the setProperty call, 
    SoapUI.log.info("request sent:  "+context.getProperty( BaseHttpRequestTransport.REQUEST_CONTENT ))

I would expect the updated request to be printed to the log?

Cheers

Darren
    omatzura
    Super Contributor
    Hi Darren,

unless you've changed the code, it should be "--remove--", not "--empty--". Is that it?

regards!

/Ole
    eviware.com