Forum Discussion

mindgnat
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

Create good entry level documentation

I read through your REST documentation. Whoa - it's bad. If you don't make it easy for people to learn the basics, then it won't matter what technical features are available. Suggestions:
1. KISS: There are basically 4 REST functions paralleling the basic db functions, i.e. CRUD. Create 4 simple end-to-end tutorials that walk you through how to set each one of these up. Permute only the input/output format. For example, JSON is a very common exchange format. Make one of the 4 send JSON in the request and one return JSON in the response. Make another one send/exchange XML. Get the picture?
2. What happens when you cram a whole hamburger down someone's throat? They choke. Instead of trying to cram your whole feature set into one tutorial "thread", think of writing small, "chew-able" bites (tasks).
3. Developers don't necessarily make good tutorial/documentation writers. Occasionally you can find a developer who has writing skills, but that's more the exception than the rule. Good writers are who make good documentation creators, especially writers who have been formally trained in teaching. Get one - they will do far more for the market penetration of your software than the sales people. I don't want to talk to your sales people. As a developer, I want to deliver my code as quickly as possible. Either your software enables me to do that or it gets in my way. In this case, it wasted my time so I'm going to see if I can find another REST web service test framework that is a little more intuitive OR with better documentation. Otherwise, I'll waste the other 15 people on my project 's time.

1 Reply

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hello,

thank you for your feedback!

We are working on making our documentation better for our users -
    I will include your suggestions to our documents.

Regards,
    Vladimir
    SmartBear Software