Forum Discussion

kchan
New Contributor
13 years ago

Variables and Linux server monitoring

Hi,

I was looking for a Load Test tool, and I watched the product demo video, which looks promising.

I do have a couple of questions:

1.  Without the support for scripting or data variables, does it mean we can't customize the recorded scripts to use different data? For example, does it mean we can't change the login/password for the scripts? Or if the script is used to search for a customer by name, it has to use the same name for each VUser simulation? Or if the script is to create a new customer record, it will create many customers with the same name?

2.  Does the server monitoring extends to Linux servers, Apache Web Server, and WebSphere App Servers? And can it simultaneously monitor more than one server?

Thanks in advance.

Kam

3 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3
    Hi
    Kam,

> Without the support for scripting or data variables, does it mean we
    can't customize the recorded scripts to use different data?

LoadComplete has a Data Selectors and Data Generator functionality that make it possible to customize recorded data. I would recommend to go through the http://smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/23861/ help topic for more details.

> [...] can it simultaneously monitor
    more than one server?

I'm afraid it cannot as requests are usually sent to one server only (Support will correct me if I'm wrong), but it is very easy to switch between different target servers using the Target Server setting (http://smartbear.com/support/viewarticle/23963/).
    kchan
    New Contributor
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for the reply.

I will go through the article you listed.

Regarding the multiple servers, I was thinking of the Application Server and the Database Server. Although the requests are sent to one Web Server, we would want to collect the resource levels on the Application Server and the Database Server as well. Is that possible?

And does the server monitor extends to the Java processes (or WebSphere process) running on a Linux server?

Thanks

Kam
    ArtemS
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Kam,

Thanks for your interest in LoadComplete.

> Without the support for scripting or data variables, does it mean we can't customize the recorded scripts to use different data?

As Alexei said, LoadComplete can customize recorded traffic. Moreover, there are multiple ways to customize the traffic:

• with Parametrization Wizard, you can modify the recorded parameters, or specify the external data source to retrieve parameters from;

• with Data Generators, you can produce random values for the parameters;

• using Data Selectors, you can handle dynamic query string parameters during the playback.

>Does the server monitoring extends to Linux servers, Apache Web Server, and WebSphere App Servers?

LoadComplete can monitor UNIX-based servers (including Linux servers) and Apache Web Server. Yet, the monitored server should be properly configured beforehand. Refer to the online Monitoring Server Metrics - Basic Concepts topic for details.

WebSphere Application Server is currently not supported.

>can it simultaneously monitor more than one server?

LoadComplete can monitor multiple servers simultaneously. The name of the monitored server is specified when adding a new server-side counter, and it may differ from the test's target server. Thus, it is possible to monitor both the web-application's server and database server.