Forum Discussion

sthiers
New Contributor
14 years ago

Debug vs. Release profiling

Hello,

When trying to load a release version of "my.dll", AQTime "sees" the dll level functions (seen by Microsoft's "dependency walker" tool.)

When loading the debug version of the same dll, nothing is seen!

How can that be explianed?

Is there a way that AQTime profiles dlls functions even in debug mode?

(More precsiely, it looks like that when loading a debug version of a dll, AQTime looks at the included obj, not at the exported functions. If for whatever reason, there is no obj in the dll, nothing is displayed in debug whereas in release, we can see the dl functions)

Thank you

PS: using Peformance profiler 6.50.498.86

3 Replies

• Hi,

I am guessing that you are profiling a VC++ unmanaged library. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Have you placed the debug information file (*.pdb) for the library next to it? Please do this and let me know whether this helps.
    sthiers
    New Contributor
    Hi,

Right, the profiled dll is unmanaged C++.

About the .pdb:

When installing the profiled application in debug mode, the pdb is present.

We do not have acces to the .pdb in release mode.

I understand that without pdb we get less information.

But I still can't explain why the debug mode does not "see" the dll level functions, wherease the release sees them.

Thank you

S.

• Hi,

When installing the profiled application in debug mode, the pdb is present.

We do not have acces to the .pdb in release mode.
    However, as far as I understand, you want to profile the debug version of you module, so you should have debug information. Besides that, you can generate debug information for the release version as well: just do not ship it to your application's users.

But I still can't explain why the debug mode does not "see" the dll level functions, wherease the release sees them.
    Ok, is it possible for you to send us both release and debug versions of your DLL so we can check this here? Please contact us directly via the Contact Support form.