Forum Discussion

prathapIGS
Occasional Contributor
8 months ago

Adding Test Scenarios with the current set of Test Cases

Hi,

We have a set of Test Cases in the the Zephyr Scale Repo. Is it possible to add Test Scenarios as well and map those Test Cases to the Test Scenarios? Also, need to pull report based on Test Scenarios post execution of the Test Cases.

Thanks in Advance.

8 Replies

prathapIGS
    Occasional Contributor

Thank you MisterB for the options.

Will try those out and update you if any of it meets the requirement.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Could you please give me a Use Case for how you would like Test Scenarios and Test Cases to work together?  Are you qualifying a Test Scenario as a high-level objective that contains Test Cases?

prathapIGS
    Occasional Contributor

Hi MisterB,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, Test Scenario will be a high-level object that contains multiple Test Cases. 
    Ex.: Test Scenario = Test the login flow.
           ->Test Case 1 = Test Login with email ID
          ->Test Case 2 = Test Login with Mobile number
         -> Test Case 3 = Test Login with Social Login

For each of the above Test Cases there will be Test Steps and validation points for those Test Steps which will be marked Pass/Fail upon execution.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying.

Option A: You could do this in one test case, call the test case "Test the login flow", and then reference the steps which in your Use Case are Test Cases 1, 2, and 3, but I guess you've discounted that approach for a reason.

Option B: You could create a test case that will be your Test Scenario, then add the other three test cases as test steps using the "Call to Test" feature, which adds other test cases to the current test case. 

Option C: Use Test Cycles as Test Scenarios.  This might be useful if you want to group tests into broad scenarios, functions, features, or teams.

In either approach the reporting will be the same: you will see the test result for the scenario.

prathapIGS
    Occasional Contributor

Hi MisterB,
    I tried Options A and B.
    A will not work for us. so dropped it.
    B is able to group things but in report i can see only 1 entry. is this intended?
    Please refer the attached screenshots. I am seeing only the main Test Case in any of the Traceability reports/Execution Summary reports and the added Test Cases via Call to Test wont show up. Only in the execution details report i am able see the added Test Cases.

Thank you.

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,
    That's how I would expect it to work under those circumstances - the gadgets and reports mostly report at a test cycle or test case level, except for the detailed one which you've already mentioned.  I don't think there are many options at present in this scenario.

prathapIGS
    Occasional Contributor

Hi Mister B,

So for now Option C is working for us. For now only problem is the Test Cycle name (Test Scenario) does not show up on the traceability report. is there any way we can make Test cycle name to be displayed on traceability report. Screenshot of the report screen attached for reference. 

MisterB
      Champion Level 3

Hi prathapIGS

Good news that one of the options is working for you. 

Unfortunately we don't have the ability to control the layout of reports.  In terms of workarounds, there are no quick solutions, but if you're not using Test Case statuses (Draft, Approved), you could create custom Test Case statuses to indicate the function being tested and that would show in your report - it would however mean bulk updating test cases manually to align them with a function.

Alternatively you might think about exporting the data and creating your own report, using the raw data in Scale as its source.