Forum Discussion

BridAhlawat
3 years ago

Raising tests as Sub-tasks to sit under User story tasks

Hi there everyone,

We are a very small company who have recently decided to invest in our Quality. Starting a dedicated QA team and investing in the Zephyr squad plug in.

We have been using Jira for sometime and wanted a tool that we could easily integrate so Zephyr was the first choice.

I have however been disappointed and find Zephyr quite cumbersome.

It is most likely user related (me!) but if anyone could suggest workarounds to make the following possible it would make life so much easier!

The main problem is that tests in Zephyr are a ‘Task’ whereas we would like them to sit under User story’s which are also a ‘Task’ – can Tests be subtasks

Smaller queries include

- When I’m on a Test Execution page I’d like to be able to click on the defect to open it.

- Ideally, I would like the execution status to be the same as that of the overall Test - when the execution status changes the test status is also updated accordingly. 

- Can the overall test show attachments added in the execution process?

- Uisng the 'Create' button, how can we create defects/bugs as sub tasks from the execution page to sit under the story's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bríd.

1 Reply

• Hi Bríd, 

The main problem is that tests in Zephyr are a ‘Task’ whereas we would like them to sit under User story’s which are also a ‘Task’ – can Tests be subtasks

• To get around this you could use the jira issue link feature. 

- When I’m on a Test Execution page I’d like to be able to click on the defect to open it.

• Will this be after creating or during search? You can try opening it up in a separate tab 

- Ideally, I would like the execution status to be the same as that of the overall Test - when the execution status changes the test status is also updated accordingly

• You should be prompted to update the overall test case after test steps have been updated with one status, if not you could manually change this

- Can the overall test show attachments added in the execution process?

Uisng the 'Create' button, how can we create defects/bugs as sub tasks from the execution page to sit under the story's?

• The bug will be a separate issue, but tied to the test case execution. After creating the bug you will need to go the user story and create a jira issue link between the story and bug