Forum Discussion

Aerospace1
New Contributor
4 years ago

TM4J - Test case export and import

1) Export test case from TM4J to Excel:

Is it possible an exported test case can include attachments or screenshots contained in TM4J ?

If so, how would I do that?

Note: the spreadsheet would be distributed to testers allowing them to complete electronically 

2) Import test case from Excel into TM4J:

a) Is it possible to import the same completed Excel spreadsheet with screenshot(s) associated with each test step?

b) I would like to add a new column to the same completed Excel spreadsheet allowing the tester to document their Actual Results (see attachment)

c) Can screenshots or attachments in the spreadsheet be imported into TM4J?

6 Replies

deitahoward
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Aerospace1, 

1) Exports of test cases don't include attachments, there isn't really a workaround other than printing the test steps, but this is long and not recommended 

2) Currently, there's no integration with Excel, so importing extra info or updating results via import isn't possible 

Can I ask why it is that the testers are executing from Excel instead of inside the app? 

By the way, there's an Ideas Portal if you want to raise/vote on any ideas related to this - 

Cloud - https://zephyr-scale-cloud.ideas.aha.io/

Server/DC - https://zephyr-scale-server-dc.ideas.aha.io/

Hope this helps, 

Dee

lblivnat
    New Contributor

I would also like to export screenshots, as part of the completed Test Execution. I work in an industry that requires proof of testing, and this is one of my main problems with Zephr. I have to export the Executions, including pass and fail info, but I need the screenshot attachments to export with each step. I have to do that separately, and name the screenshots in a certain way to tie them back to the execution and step. I am investigating other products because of this deficiency. Sounds like there is no plan for Zephr to do this, is that right?

MisterB
      Champion Level 3

For item 1)

Has anyone tried using the Attachments endpoint in the Zephyr API to try and resolve this requirement?

The API library is here: Zephyr Scale Server API (v1) (smartbear.com)

In the example JSON data of a successful execution, it does seem to indicate that a URL link could be clicked to access the attachments

MisterB
        Champion Level 3

Regarding question 2)

I guess it might be possible to convert your Excel file into JSON data, and if that were the case, I'm also guessing that you could use the API to update the test steps in your test cases - although I'm not sure about attachments.

We discussed this a little in this post: Not able to add teststep - SmartBear Community

And perhaps dsaju might be able to advise on their experience with importing results in this way?