Forum Discussion

july2021
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

how to create and use test library

hello, we are testing out Zephyr Scale in the trial period, specifically testing out how test cases can be stored in a library and reused for across projects.

But we can't figure out the way to reuse the test cases in the library(the library is a specific jira project that contains all the approved test cases, is that right?),could you kindly show us how to reuse  test cases in different projects. 

for example:

1. we would establish and maintain a test library with all the products modules, all the test cases in other projects generated from the library.

2. In different projects, the testers could call(reuse) the test cases in the library and execute the test in the project, and then the library would record all the reuse records of this test case

is that possible for us?

MisterB
    3 years ago

Hi,

I'm assuming that you are on Zephyr Cloud (which I don't have) but even so, I would expect that you can add test cases from other projects in the Cloud version.  I've added images showing how to do that in the Server version and hopefully it will work for you too.  After you've added the test cases you simply need to click the Save button to record those changes.

If this doesn't work for you, can I suggest you contact the support team - I'm sure they can help you out.

Best of luck, Andy

13 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi,

What you're trying to achieve is possible.  For example, in your project(s), create a new Test Cycle, entering basic info in the Details tab, then go to the Test Cases tab (1 over to the right), click on the Add Test Cases button, in the top left-hand corner, navigate to your project (the library will change) and then go to the folder and start selecting the test cases you want to add - clicking Close and then Save to save your changes.

And points 1 and 2 are possible.  In the test case, it's possible to see the execution history in the Execution tab, showing which test cycles in which it was executed.

Does that help?

Andy

july2021
      Occasional Contributor

hi, thanks for your kindly reply.

but I wonder that if "navigate to your project (the library will change) " means there is no common library that contains different projects test cases. or we call it a baselined summarized test cases with all the product features now?

MisterB
        Champion Level 3

Hi,

Hopefully I'm understanding what it is you're aiming to achieve.  I'll map it out below and how it's done.  Let's say we have 3 projects: a project called Library that contains all baseline test cases, and other projects called Execution1 and Execution2 that will use subsets of the test cases from the Library.  You can do this as follows:

Project Library

- has a folder structure in the Tests section (where test cases are stored)

- let's say you create a folder structure like this:

All Products

Product A

Test case 1

Test case 2

Test case 3

Product B

Test case 4

Test case 5

Test case 6

Product C

Test case 7

Test case 8

Test case 9

Now, you navigate to Project Execution1.  And create a Cycle called Product A Test1.  In there, you follow my previous advice and navigate to the Library project to find and add the selection of tests that you want to be executed.  And you can repeat this process in another projects as needed.  I would say that to make this easier for you, it's important to get the Library project in a very good structure.

When it comes to seeing the results of, say, Test case 1, you can click on that test case anywhere it has been executed, and using the traceability tab, see at glance the full execution history across multiple projects.

Hope that helps but if you need a bit more help let me know.

Best, Andy

july2021
      Occasional Contributor

and what do you mean by “navigate to your project (the library will change) ”,i can't find this operation. 

MisterB
        Champion Level 3

I'm using the Server version of the Zephyr so my functionality could be a bit different if you're on the Cloud version but there are 2 ways of doing this - see images attached.  One shows how to switch to another project in the Tests page, and the other shows how to switch to another project library when adding test cases in the Test Cycle.

Adding test cases to cycles is explained in the help files, here: Creating a Test Cycle | Zephyr Scale Server/Data Center Documentation (smartbear.com) It doesn't show how to add test cases from another library but in step 6 you will see there is a dropdown arrow next to ERP, and that is where you can access another project library.

Andy

adamoutler
    New Contributor

There's no real good way to have a master test run copied across multiple projects within Zephyr Scale.  I wrote an app to copy test runs using the API.  Can't share the source, but here's an idea of what it looks like.

In my system, it create a Jira issue.  The Jira issue has a link to the test run in the Description field.  The issue is assigned to someone with a duedate and we use that for tracking purposes. 

Using this method we have one, protected, master set of tests in a master test run, that gets copied to individual projects.  The individual projects can have additional tests added and are filtered based on the project requirements.