Forum Discussion

torus
Contributor
12 months ago
Solved

javascript try/catch block

I thought try/catch blocks were supposed to help you avoid failures/exceptions. That is how they work in C# and from my understanding, this is how thye work in Javascript. Why is the below code still throwing an error? If it doesn't find the process called 'someProcess' the try/catch block should catch the error ... no error should exist in the test result. However, from the following code, I get a test failure stating that "The process 'someProcess' was not found".

function testing()
{
  try
  {
    var ml = Sys.Process("someProcess");
    //ml.Close();     
  }
  catch(e)
  {}
}

• See Process Method - "The Process method returns a Process object by its application name and index. If the process is not found, the method returns an empty object and posts the message “The process … was not found” to the test log". Majority of the methods in TC are like this i.e. returns object or null.

An empty object doesn't throw an exception.

3 Replies

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

See Process Method - "The Process method returns a Process object by its application name and index. If the process is not found, the method returns an empty object and posts the message “The process … was not found” to the test log". Majority of the methods in TC are like this i.e. returns object or null.

An empty object doesn't throw an exception.

AlexKaras
      Champion Level 3

Majority of the methods in TC are like this i.e. returns object or null.

I would say that majority of methods in TC return either valid object if search succeeds/object exists or empty stub object with the only .Exists property available and set to False if search fails or object does not exist/was destroyed in the application.

Null is almost never returned by 'native' TestComplete methods. Methods like .FindChildByXPath() may return null, but these methods are rather just a wrappers around XPath search engine than 'native' TestComplete methods.