Forum Discussion

BTscott
Contributor
6 years ago

We are considering upgrading to JDK 11 for our desktop application.

Greetings,

I am looking to see if there is a way to successfully test our desktop application with TestComplete if we upgrade to JDK 11. Right now, I am unable to specify the JDK jvm as a replacement for the JRE.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott

6 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Right now, TestComplete only builds a JavaBridge based upon the JRE.  The JDK includes the JRE so all you need to do is indicate the directory where the JVM files are.

Note that the JRE option in TestComplete is ONLY necessary if you want to utilize Java classes as part of your test cases (such as I do with the PDFBox application).  If your application is built in Java, there's no need to specify the JRE.

HOWEVER... that said, currently TestComplete only supports testing Desktop applications built with certain Java technologies (https://support.smartbear.com/testcomplete/docs/app-testing/desktop/java/about.html#supported-java-technologies).  If your application is built with a different technology, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't use TestComplete, just that some of the Open application feature set is not supported.

If you need JRE/JDK 11 support, I'd suggest you contact your Customer Success Manager at SmartBear and inquire as to when support will be made available in TestComplete.

BTscott
      Contributor

Thank you for your response.

I have updated the Hava Bridge to point to our open JDK 11.0.1 jvm.dll file, but TC still attempts to use my JRE 8 VM. Is there another location for me to specify the JDK directory? 

tristaanogre
        Esteemed Contributor

Keep in mind, that setting is stored per machine per user.  So, if you are running something using a different user or on a different machine, you need to make that setting change there as well.

That is the ONLY place to indicate the JVM to use by TestComplete for JavaBridge work.