Forum Discussion

denolfe
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Variable for connection string or Data Source Name?

Hello,

I have been dynamically building my database connection string through scripting as I perform testing on SQL 2005, 2008, and 2012, which all could have a different SQL Driver.  

I am now seeing the need to create Database Checkpoints as opposed to checking specific values.  The problem I am running into is that when creating the DB Checkpoints, TestComplete requires me to either enter a Data Source Name or enter a connection string, both of which could be different based on which machine the testing is occurring on.

So my question is, is there a way to pass a variable for the connection string or the Database Source Name for these checkpoints? Is there a better way to do this, like populate a temporary table from a query then compare that to a data object?

Any help is appreciated.

Code for retrieving the connection string:

function GetConnectionString()

var Connection;

var Key, ValueName;

var regEx, SQLVersion, SQLDriver;

// Gets an object for the Windows system registry key

Key = Storages.Registry("Software\\Microsoft\\MSSQLServer\\MSSQLServer\\CurrentVersion", HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE);

// Specifies the name of the value you want to obtain

ValueName = "CurrentVersion";

SQLVersion = Key["GetOption"](ValueName, "Not Found");

regEx = /^\d*/;

// Perform search operation

Match = SQLVersion["match"](regEx);

if (Match == "9") 

SQLDriver = "SQL Native Client";

else if (Match == "10")

SQLDriver = "SQL Server Native Client 10.0";

else if (Match == "11") 

SQLDriver = "SQL Server Native Client 11.0";

Project["Variables"]["Connection_String"] = "Driver={"+ SQLDriver +"};Server="+ Sys["HostName"] +";Database=TWO;Trusted_Connection=yes;";

Log["Message"]("SQL Connection String: "+ Project["Variables"]["Connection_String"]);

}

5 Replies

denolfe
    Occasional Contributor
    For anyone interested, I got around this making every environment have the same Data Source Name and created the database checkpoints using that.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for sharing your solution with us!

I'd like to add that there is a suggestion to use project variables when specifying a connection, and your request has increased its rating!

Besides, the following sample may be helpful as well. It iterates through the DBTables collection and changes the needed connection string:

function UpdateConnectionString()

{

//Obtain a collection of the DBTable elements using the aqObject.GetProperties method

var props = aqObject.GetProperties(DBTables);

var prop;

var tableName;

var newConnectionString = <my connection string>;

//If you use a project variable to keep the new connection string (for example, called myConnectionString), use the following line instead:

//var newConnectionString = Project.Variables.myConnectionString; 

while (props.HasNext())

{

//Move to the next property

prop = props.Next();

//Obtain the table name

tableName = prop.Name;

//Use the eval function to assign a new value to the table's ConnectionString property

eval("DBTables." + tableName + ".ConnectionString = newConnectionString");

}

}

SangeethaT
      Regular Visitor

Tanya, 

I tried doing exactly as you had scripted above. Yet the Connection String is not getting updated.

eval ("DBTables."+tableName+".ConnectionString = "+Chr(34)+newConnectionString+Chr(34))
      log.message (DBTables.lockedrecords.ConnectionString)

In line 2 of the script snippet pasted above, I still get the old connection string. I actually want to do a DB Table checkpoint after changing to the new connection string.

eval ("DBTables."+tableName+".ConnectionString = "+Chr(34)+newConnectionString+Chr(34))
      eval("DBTables."+tableName+".Check")

Checkpoint in line 2 is never working as per the new connection string . I am using latest version of TestComplete. 

Please help. 

TanyaYatskovska wrote:

Hi Elliot,

Thanks for sharing your solution with us!

I'd like to add that there is a suggestion to use project variables when specifying a connection, and your request has increased its rating!

Besides, the following sample may be helpful as well. It iterates through the DBTables collection and changes the needed connection string:

function UpdateConnectionString()

{

//Obtain a collection of the DBTable elements using the aqObject.GetProperties method

var props = aqObject.GetProperties(DBTables);

var prop;

var tableName;

var newConnectionString = <my connection string>;

//If you use a project variable to keep the new connection string (for example, called myConnectionString), use the following line instead:

//var newConnectionString = Project.Variables.myConnectionString; 

while (props.HasNext())

{

//Move to the next property

prop = props.Next();

//Obtain the table name

tableName = prop.Name;

//Use the eval function to assign a new value to the table's ConnectionString property

eval("DBTables." + tableName + ".ConnectionString = newConnectionString");

}

}

DanH
        Contributor

I've just tried the script and it worked perfectly.  Thanks.

• In addition to use project variables when specifying a connection,  it would be valuable to specify a project variable when specifying th Query Text